Super easy, colorful appetizers for spring and summer entertaining: Mini Avocado Fruit Toasts
I know, I know. We really don’t need yet another recipe for avocado toast.
Heck, it’s barely even a recipe: 1) Toast bread 2) Spread with avocado 3) Eat.
When I started to think about what I wanted to do for this month’s Recipe ReDux theme, I knew it had to be a no-brainer, really-don’t-need-a-recipe recipe :
Small Plates For Sunny Days
Small bites are perfect for trying many different tastes. Take tapas style eating outside for al fresco dining or a simple picnic. Or maybe you’re serving small bites at a bridal or baby shower or a graduation party. Show us your healthy take on small plates and finger foods.
Gone are the days when I’d elaborately plan out a menu for a celebration dinner, baby shower or having friends over – especially for the appetizers. I ain’t got no time to prep multiple little bite-sized nibbles with super complex instructions at this stage in my life.Super easy, colorful appetizers: Mini Avocado Fruit Toasts via @tspbasil #thereciperedux Click To Tweet
So, when it comes to appetizers that I want to make these days, they have to be:
- Easy to assemble
- Still impressive
- OK if you mess them up a little bit
And these Mini Avocado Fruit Toasts deliver on each of those points.
- Easy to assemble – Besides toasting bread, slicing the fruit and spreading the avocado, there’s hardly any prep work here. (Get the kids to help!)
- Still impressive – The colors are gorgeous – you’ll score points for Mother Nature’s rainbow.
- Versatile – Don’t have apricots? Use peaches. Don’t have thyme? Use basil. Don’t like coconut? Skip it. #YouGetThePoint
- OK if you mess them up a bit – As you can tell from my photos, these toasts aren’t perfection in the food styling department but no one will care once they take a bite. (And see above: you can say the kids put them together.)
Here are the fruit and herb/spice combos I made:
Strawberries + basil + balsamic vinegar
Blueberries + ginger + mint
Mango + unsweetened coconut + Sriracha
Apricot + rosemary + black pepper
Peaches + thyme + honey
And some avocado toast “math”:
1 small avocado = spread for 3 bread slices
1 large avocado = spread for 5 bread slices
1/3 cup fruit = topping for 1 bread slice
1 slice of bread = 4 toasts
And you could totally make avocado veggie toasts, too! I made a radish + honey + black pepper combo on my 5 Ways To Enjoy Radishes Facebook Live post last week. The possibilities are endless especially with summer veggies coming into season.
What do you put on your avocado toast? What are your favorite quick-to-make appetizers? I’m always looking for ideas and if you are too, check out all the ReDuxers small bites/plates ideas below.