Even though we are heading into the heart of spring, there are still chilly days hanging around, which, of course, are ideal soup days. And this mash-up recipe of French Onion Soup blending with Vegetable Barley Soup is one that I’ve made often over the past few months.
It’s a pretty simple recipe – the most laborious part of it is the cutting the onions and caramelizing them. If you aren’t in a rush and don’t feel like keeping an eye on the sauteeing onions, use one of my favorite Healthy Kitchen Hacks: How To Caramelize Onions in Your Slow Cooker.Yummy soup mash-up: #Vegetarian French Onion Barley Soup via @tspbasil Click To Tweet
Now, French Onion soup traditionally uses a beef broth base, so to keep this recipe vegetarian but still get that meaty, umami flavor, I used a few splashes of soy sauce.Print
Vegetarian French Onion Barley Soup
A yummy vegetarian soup recipe mash-up combining the flavors of French Onion and Vegetable Barley.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large red or sweet onions, skin removed and sliced thinly
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked pearled barley
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 slices of baguette
- 6 ounces shredded Swiss, Monterey Jack or Gruyere cheese
- In a large dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn heat to medium and cook another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, barley, wine, soy sauce, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Stir a few times, reduce to medium-low and cook another 25-30 minutes or until barley is cooked through.
- While soup is simmering, place baguette slices on sheet pan. Top with cheese and place under broiler for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- To serve, place a piece of cheese bread in each bowl and spoon soup on top. Serve immediately.
In this version, I have the cheese toasts on the bottom of each soup bowl, but if you’d rather have that traditional yummy cheese topping melted on top of your bowl, make plain toast and add to the bottom of your bowl. Fill with soup and top with the cheese. Place under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes or until melted.
I’m thinking I’ll mix cooked mushrooms into the next batch I make for extra savory flavor – not to mention barley and mushrooms make a lovely pair.
What’s your favorite soup these days?