UPDATE: We’re reposting this to kick off the 2019 Memorial Day Grilling Season! Don’t forget the fruit when you fire up that grill.
I’ll always remember the first time.
The first time I had grilled fruit. It was grilled pineapple and it was one of those “aha” recipe creation moments.
Up until now, I’ve only really experimented with grilling fruit (mainly stone fruit like peaches, plums, apricots) for desserts. Drizzled with olive oil and honey and done.
So, I figured it was time to expand my grilled fruit horizons. From cocktails to salads to entrees, grilled fruit is HOT this summer (OK…bad pun.)Don't forget about the fruit when you are grilling this weekend! Grilled Fruit Recipe Round-Up via @tspbasil Click To Tweet
I’ve been wanting to make Serena’s Grilled Watermelon Salad for 3 summers now (she made it for one of our first Recipe ReDux posts!) and earlier this week, I finally did. In the past, I’ve done watermelon salad with feta and mint (SO GOOD) but never had tried it a) grilled or b) with Parmesan cheese (SO SO SO GOOD!)
Grilled Watermelon Salad
Grilled fruit goes beyond simple dessert – think grilled watermelon salad, grilled fruit cocktails, grilled grape kabobs and more in this recipe roundup.
- Yield: 4-6 servings. 1x
- 1 small seedless watermelon, sliced ½-inch thick into quarter triangles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for brushing
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 4 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 4 fresh mint leaves, torn
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated finely (about 1 ounce)
- Preheat grill or grill pan (for about 5 minutes) over medium high heat until very hot.
- Brush watermelon slices with olive oil.
- Grill watermelon for about 2 -3 minutes per side, or until grill marks appear.
- Remove from grill, cool slightly. Cut off rind and chop into chunks.
- Add watermelon to serving bowl and toss with lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, mint and cheese.
And to really expand my and your grilled fruit repertoire, I give you this fun and tasty recipe roundup. (First up for me? Those grilled fruit adult beverages…)
Citrus Cocktail with Grilled Fruit via Linda @ Giggles, Gobbles & Gulps
Grilled Grape & Rosemary Chicken Kabobs via Serena @ Teaspoon of Spice
Grilled Nectarine and Chevre Salad with Honey Fig Vinaigrette via Susan @ Simple Healthy Kitchen
Do you ever grill fruit? What type and what kind of recipe? Please share – we love hearing from you!