This month’s Improv Challenge ideas ran through my head. I tried to think of some “out of the box” twists but why mess with ingredients really don’t need any fuss?
So in the end, I decided to keep it simple. As in, fresh sliced strawberries layered in a parfait glass, topped with just beaten, fresh whipped cream. Yes, I’m a dietitian who uses and eats heavy cream! But a little goes a long way in this recipe which besides strawberries (Vitamin C, fiber, folate), also features lowfat granola (fiber, whole grains), mascarpone (essentially a reduced fat cream cheese) and nonfat Greek yogurt (calcium, potassium, protein.)
Now that I’ve gotten the nutrition disclaimer out of the way, please enjoy this “summer is coming soon” sweet treat for yourself!Print
Strawberries & Cream Crunch Parfaits
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- 3/4 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese (or reduced fat cream cheese)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup low fat granola
- 2 tablespoons fresh whipped cream
- Mint for garnish
- In a parfait or tall glass, layer 1/4 cup strawberries.
- In a small bowl, mix together mascarpone and yogurt. Spoon half of mixture onto strawberries in glass.
- Layer with 2 tablespoons of granola.
- Repeat with another 1/4 cup layer of strawberries, the remaining cheese/yogurt mixture and remaining granola.
- Top with remaining strawberries and dollop with whipped cream.
- Garnish with mint, if desired, and serve immediately.
What’s your favorite berry? Yes or no to real whipped cream?