Apple Brie & Bacon Foccacia: October is here and what better time to share some apple love? One of the benefits of living where I do (outside Philadelphia) in the fall is that apples are locally abundant – even the farm 15 miles from us boast over 25 varieties. And while I love me some good old-fashioned apple pie or a bubbling apple crisp, I wanted to try a savory recipe for this month’s AppleLove BlogHop. I started with my favorite rosemary foccacia recipe, a bunch of Fujis and went from there.Print
Apple, Brie & Bacon Foccacia
- Yield: 12 pieces 1x
- 1 (.25 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups all purpose white flour
- 4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced (about 4 sprigs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices applewood smoked bacon, uncooked
- 3 medium apples (I used Fuji), cored and sliced thinly
- 2 ounces Brie cheese
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- In large bowl, combine yeast, 1/2 cup warm water and sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add remaining water, whole wheat flour, 1 cup white flour, rosemary, olive oil and salt; mix until dough starts to form. Continue to add remaining flour and knead until dough is smooth (knead for 5 – 10 minutes.) Coat bowl with oil, place dough in bowl, cover with towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and roll into 14 X 10-inch rectangle. Position into an oiled, rimmed baking sheet, cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove onto plate with paper towels. Pour out excess bacon fat, return skillet to stove and add apple slices. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spread apple slices over dough. Put dough in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Take out of oven and crumble bacon over apples. Then top with small pieces of cut Brie and snipped pieces from sprig of rosemary. Return to oven and cook another 7 – 10 minutes, until brie has melted and foccacia is golden brown. Cool slightly before cutting and serving.
Do you have a favorite apple dish?
Tuesday 11th of October 2011
This looks soooo good! I am a pizza addict! I love the combination of flavors, and especially love the addition of bacon, YUM! Hugs, Terra
Wednesday 12th of October 2011
I am totally a pizza addict too :)
Thursday 6th of October 2011
Bacon, Brie and Apples is even hard to say without charging up the salivary glands. It looks and sounds really phenomenal.
Wednesday 5th of October 2011
What a gorgeous foccacia you made! There will definitely be some experimenting in my kitchen thanks to #AppleLove!
Tuesday 4th of October 2011
This is the most amazing foccacia I've never seen, I love to make bread so I'm going to make it soon! Besos from Spain!
Tuesday 4th of October 2011
Wow - thanks so much for your comment - enjoy!
Reem | Simply Reem
Monday 3rd of October 2011
Great Foccacia........ What a wonderful combination of flavors... OH... Can I have a slice right now...