Disclosure: ALDI compensated me to write this post. Opinions and thoughts are my own – but it’s no secret that I’m an ALDI fan! Some of my most popular past ALDI posts: (10 Reasons This Dietitian Wants You To Visit ALDI and Why You Should Buy Fish at ALDI).
It’s no surprise that the 2020 holidays are looking very different this year for our family. Usually, my sister hosts a 7 Fish Christmas Eve Dinner (an Italian-American tradition and my favorite meal of the year). And then we have anywhere from 25 to 40 family members come over for Christmas dinner and gifts (my hubs is one of 11).
While neither of these events are happening due to COVID, I’m optimistic that it will be just this one year we have to skip these traditions. And while I will miss all the laughs and spirit of the season, I have to say – a small part of me is happy to pass on the extra details and planning that comes with such large gatherings.
But that said, I’m not going to skip on the food part of the celebrations even if it will only be my small family of 3 and perhaps a couple outdoor visits with my parents and a few others. And now, this is where my beloved ALDI comes in…
I recently got to tour (with masks, social distancing and safety protocols in place, of course) the brand-new flagship Philadelphia ALDI store with the delightful Aunyea Lachelle, host of Philly Live on NBC. Located at 1300 Fairmount Ave., this is the 11th ALDI to open downtown and the largest (15,000 square feet of retail space and six aisles). And the best part for city shoppers? FREE PARKING!
For the TV spot, Aunyea and I walked around the store and talked about this year’s best ALDI holiday products – at the lowest prices around. Here’s the clip and below are more details on what to look for when holiday shopping at ALDI.
Charcuterie Board Items
ALDI has everything you need from gourmet cheese (their ALDI-exclusive cheeses have won over 100 awards!) to cured meats to crackers to dried fruit. My two favorite seasonal cheeses this year:
- Emporium Selection Cranberry White Cheddar – as delicious as it looks.
- Emporium Selection Rosé All Day Artisanal Fontina – as yummy as it sounds.
The ALDI produce aisle is freshly stocked every single day, and they work with local growers to provide seasonal fruits and veggies. Plus, they have a large selection of organic produce at incredible prices. I picked up grapes, baby carrots, mini bell peppers and berries for my charcuterie board and also some seasonal dried fruit like the Southern Grove Mission Figs (perfect match for those cheeses I mentioned above).
Holiday Meat and Seafood Ideas
We’re all on a budget after this year, but ALDI has you covered with lots of dinner centerpiece options that are affordable like:
- Appleton Farms Spiral Sliced Double Glazed Brown Sugar Ham – voted as a 2020 ALDI Fan Favorite (look for the blue heart logo for these winning products throughout the store)
- Kirkwood Bone-In Turkey Breast
- Black Angus USDA Choice Beef Bottom Round Roast
- Fremont Fish Market Snow Crab Legs
- Fremont Fish Market Bay Scallops (Since I’m making all 7 fishes at home, I’m hitting up these great seafood deals!)
You must check out the ALDI seasonal offerings of holiday sweet treats, as well as the ALDI Finds aisle for tons of gift options for everyone on your list:
- Winternacht is a large collection of cookies, pastries and chocolates imported from Germany (one of my favs are the Butter Spekulatius Cookies!)
- Specially Selected Cocoa Dusted Truffles – another 2020 ALDI Fan Favorite winner!
- ALDI Finds Aisle – also known as the “Aisle of Fun;” these products rotate in weekly and include items like unique foods, home décor, gift wrapping, toys, pet accessories, baking cookware and more. I scored a cozy pair of slippers for myself that my teen daughter claimed as her own the next day!
Safety is a top priority at ALDI, especially this year. In-stores, all customers and employees are required to wear properly fitting face coverings. Plus, self-service cart wipes, hand sanitizing stations, signage for social distancing and intensified store cleanings are just some of the many safety measures rolled out at every ALDI store.
But if you still rather opt for grocery delivery for convenience and comfort, simply visit shop.aldi.us – I’ve definitely taken advantage of this, too.
Flagship Philadelphia ALDI Store
- Now open at 1300 Fairmount Ave.
- Free parking in attached garage (enter off Ridge Ave.).
- Store hours: 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Look for the one-of-a-kind wall decals featuring several Philly iconic monuments.
If you are in Philly and an ALDI fan, this is definitely a must-see store!
Wishing everyone a healthy, happy and safe holiday season xo