Impress your family with this Maple Walnut Salmon dish using fresh sockeye salmon fillets from ALDI.
[Disclosure: ALDI compensated me to write this post. Opinions and thoughts are my own – but it’s no secret that I’m an ALDI shopper!]
Are you and your family eating enough fish? There’s no better time than now to try to get a seafood recipe into your week whether it’s on a Friday during Lent or any night you have 20 minutes to spare (because that’s how fast you can cook it up!)
The most common barriers I hear for people not eating more seafood is:
1) Not sure where to buy it
2) Not sure how to cook it
3) Don’t like the smell or texture
While Serena and I have shared many seafood recipes on Teaspoon of Spice, here’s one more to hopefully get you on board with feeling good about buying, preparing and eating more of it!#sponsored Maple Walnut Crusted Salmon recipe featuring fresh sockeye salmon from @ALDIUSA @tspbasil Click To Tweet
So, I’ve professed my love for and reasons why I shop at ALDI in the past here: 10 Reasons Why This Mom and Dietitian Wants You To Visit ALDI and here: Budget-Friendly Holiday Recipes.
And now I have another reason: ALDI makes fish easy and affordable.
- ALDI offers fresh fish, like Atlantic salmon and tilapia.
- They work with Sustainable Fisheries Partnership and the Global Aquaculture Alliance to ensure sustainable sourcing whenever possible.
- ALDI also aims to buy all its seafood products from responsibly-managed fisheries and farms that have minimal impacts on the marine environment.
My go-to ALDI seafood buys so far include:
- Sea Queen Frozen Jumbo Easy Peel Raw Shrimp – I always have shrimp in the freezer for last-minute tacos, pasta or rice dishes.
- Specially Selected Sockeye Salmon Fillets – One of my favorite fish to use for tostadas, salads and now this Maple Walnut Crusted Salmon recipe.
Maple Walnut Crusted Salmon
#sponsored Impress your family with this Maple Walnut Salmon dish using fresh sockeye salmon fillets from ALDI.
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 4 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon Specially Selected 100% Pure Maple Syrup, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons SimplyNature Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, divided
- 4 Specially Selected Sockeye Salmon Fillets, thawed
- 1 cup Southern Grove Walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground Stonemill Sea Salt Grinder, plus additional to taste
- Ground Stonemill Peppercorn Grinder, to taste
- 5 sprays Carlini Cooking Spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons SimplyNature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup SimplyNature Organic Arugula
- In a small bowl, combine the orange zest, 2 tablespoons syrup and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Combine the marinade and salmon in a twin lock bag. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the walnuts, 2 tablespoons syrup and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Spread on a baking pan and bake for 5-10 minutes until the syrup is bubbling. Allow to cool. Crumble and reserve.
- Remove the salmon from the marinade and season both sides to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Sear the salmon skin side down for 1-2 minutes, until the skin is crispy. Turn and sear for 1-2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat. Turn the fillets, skin side facing down. Top fillets with the candied walnuts. Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon syrup. Gradually whisk in the oil. Add the arugula, toss and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the fish to plates and top with arugula and any remaining candied walnuts.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michelle, ALDI Test Kitchen. Copied with permission from https://www.aldi.us/en/recipes/main/seafood/maple-walnut-crusted-sockeye-salmon/
Other fish dishes to try from ALDI:
- Margarita Grilled Shrimp Tacos
- Healthy Salmon Foil Packets
- Grilled Citrus & Herb Salmon
- Lemon, Basil and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Marinated Shrimp
And some of our very favorite recipes from Teaspoon of Spice:
- Roasted Pepper Tomato Shrimp Gnocchi Bake
- Salmon Caesar Salad with Anchovy Free Dressing
- Roasted Avocado Salmon Taco Salad
- Red Pepper and Salmon Tostadas
BONUS ALDI PRODUCTS:
Each year, the global research agency Kantar TNS surveys 40,000 American shoppers to find out their favorite products. And in 2018, three ALDI-exclusive foods were named 2018 Product of the Year:
- Little Salad Bar Assorted Fresh Guacamole – comes in Chunky, Southwest and Pineapple Poblano flavors
- Elevation by Millville High Protein Bars – 20 grams of protein per bar with flavors like Chocolate Peanut Butter and Chocolate Mint
- Friendly Farms Greek Yogurt Tilts – with flavors like Key Lime and Crazy for Coconut
To find an ALDI near you, click on their store locator. Don’t have one nearby? Well, ALDI plans to expand to 2.500 stores nationwide by the end of 2022 making it the 3rd largest grocery store by count in the U.S.A.
Have you tried any of these Products of the Year winners? Have you ever bought fish at ALDI? LMK in the comments or over on Facebook!
Sunday 8th of July 2018
Are their seafood products processed in China? Are you referring to the "frest" salmon? I like the sockeye' however, only buy atlantic processed now.
Friday 13th of July 2018
Hi Rose - Sorry for the delayed response - I was waiting to hear from ALDI to get more information for you:
ALDI works with partners like the Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) to source sustainable seafood for their exclusive brands. ADLI's fresh, frozen and canned seafood products that meet sustainability criteria from the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) and Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) have easy-to-spot seals on the packaging. Additionally, Greenpeace USA ranked them in the Top 10 on its “Seafood Scorecard,” which recognizes the seafood sustainability of grocery retailers nationwide.
For more info about how about how they source seafood, visit corporate.aldi.us and click on the Corporate Responsibility tab.
Sunday 18th of March 2018
This meal looks healthy and it really looks great. I love fish and this salmon will be on my plate soon.
Tuesday 13th of March 2018
I'm always looking for new ways to eat salmon, and this recipe sounds absolutely amazing with those crunchy walnuts on top. Can't wait to try it!