Make the MOST crispy chickpea snacks using these Healthy Kitchen Hacks. Plus our 3 favorite flavor boosters – you will love these easy spice combos.
It’s Healthy Kitchen Hacks Wednesday – the day we share our favorite time-saving kitchen tricks and cooking shortcuts to help you make healthy and delicious meals.
Now…onto today’s featured Healthy Kitchen Hacks:
How To Make the ULTIMATE Chickpea Snacks (VIDEO)
If you’ve got a can of chickpeas, you’re golden. You can easily make:
- Afterschool snacks
- Fun party snacks
- A nourishing nosh you can flavor in hundred of combinations
Maybe you’ve seen packages of roasted chickpea snacks in the supermarket? They’re super crunchy and have yummy flavor combos.
But roasted chickpea snacks can be tricky to get crunchy at home – unless you don’t them. But to keep them healthy, I wanted to roast/bake them.
After trying several cooking methods, times, and temperatures, here are my FIVE Healthy Kitchen Hacks to make super-crunchy Roasted Chickpea Snacks in the oven.
1. Drain and rinse chickpeas. I’ve found that Busch’s beans toast up the crunchiest (I have no disclosure for Busch’s, I just really love crunchy chickpeas!)
2. Dry well. This is the most important step. Use a clean kitchen towel and rub the beans gently until dry.
3. Use your hands to toss with oil. Dump beans from towel onto a rimmed baking tray. Drizzle with oil (a high-smoking-point oil like canola or peanut) and ¼ teaspoon salt. Mix well with your hands on the baking tray.
4. Bake. Shake. Bake. Bake for 10 minutes, then open the oven door and give the baking sheet a quick shake. Bake 10 minutes more.
5. Cool on the counter. Roasted chickpeas are best right out of the oven: hot and super-crunchy. After they have cooled about 1 hour, they begin to lose their crunchiness. (They are still crispy on the outside, but get softer and chewy on the inside.) But if you keep them on the counter overnight (if they last that long) they lose more moisture and become crunchy again. Don’t store them in an air-tight bag or they will stay chewy on the inside.
Make 'em the MOST crunchy: How to Make the Ultimate Crispy Chickpea Snacks #HealthyKitchenHacks via @TspCurry Click To TweetNow comes the fun part: the flavors. Your chickpeas are delicious hot with salt and oil. But to make them even more addictive, try:
- Cocoa powder + chipotle pepper (my favorite!)
- Cumin + lime zest
- Curry powder + ginger powder
Ultimate Crispy Chickpea Snacks
To make the MOST crispy chickpea snacks, follow these 5 Healthy Kitchen Hacks for super-crunchy roasted Ultimate Crispy Chickpea Snacks
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil (or peanut oil)
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- Use a clean kitchen towel and rub the beans gently until dry.
- Dump beans from towel onto a large rimmed baking tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt. Mix well using your hands.
- Bake in a 450° oven for 10 minutes, then open the oven door and give the baking sheet a quick shake. Bake 10 minutes more. Taste test, if chickpeas are golden, but you think they could be a bit crunchier, (don’t burn yourself!) bake 3 minutes more.
- Eat hot. Or cool on the baking sheet. Store in a bowl on the counter. Don’t put in an airtight container, or beans with get slightly chewy.
- Add optional flavor combinations below after beans come out of the oven.
Optional flavor combinations: All of these combinations are to your own tastes. Start by measuring out about ¼ teaspoon of each, but taste as you go!
- ¼ teaspoon cumin + ¼ teaspoon lime zest (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder + ¼ teaspoon ground ginger (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon cocoa powder + ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika/ground chipotle pepper (or to taste)
Would you try these hacks? Do you have any healthy kitchen or healthy living shortcuts to share? Shoot us an email (or share in comments below and we’ll try them out.)