It’s Secret Recipe Club time once again – we get matched up with another food blogger and are charged with making any recipe off of their blog. It’s a surprise on who has who until today – Reveal Day!
I was assigned Desi @ SteakNPotatoesKindaGurl, which is fun because she had me last month and made my Strawberry & Cream Crunch Parfaits (which totally got me craving them again.)Upgrade your guac for game day: Roasted Garlic Bacon Guacamole @tspbasil Click To Tweet
So, it was recipe love at first sight since I ended up making the very first recipe I saw, this craveable Bacon and Roasted Garlic Guacamole. Don’t get me wrong, plenty of Desi’s recipes jumped out at me as I kept saying “just one more post I want to read” while cruising through her blog but I just couldn’t get this one out of my head – I mean, bacon, avocado and roasted garlic all together?
Sign. Me. Up.
And yes, I am a dietitian that eats bacon. This is a disclaimer Serena and I have to make now and again (even though we like to think our tagline of “Two Dietitians Who Love Food As Much As You Do” pretty much sums it up.) But Desi’s recipe has just two bacon slices for the entire bowl of guac which gives plenty of flavor without a ton of extra saturated fat calories.
I pretty much stayed true to the recipe here – my only switch ups (besides subbing smoked paprika for cayenne pepper – I have a serious
obsession thing for smoked paprika) were in the preparation:
- I roasted the head of garlic longer (45 minutes) which made it extra smooth and creamy
- I oven baked the bacon while the garlic was roasting (400 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes for crisp bacon perfection)
- I skipped sautéing the red onion because I liked the bite and tang from it being raw
Bacon Roasted Garlic Guacamole
Adapted from SteakNPotatoesKindaGurl’s Bacon and Roasted Garlic Guacamole
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 strips center cut bacon, uncooked
- 3 avocados, pitted
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of one lime
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika or cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the top off of the garlic head to expose the cloves. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Loosely wrap in aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Lay bacon on a rack with a drip pan underneath. Cook for 10 -12 minutes in same oven until bacon starts to get crisp. Blot with towel and chop.
- When garlic is done, cool for five minutes and then squeeze out into a bowl.
- Add avocados, onion, cilantro, lime juice and smoked paprika. Mash to the consistency you like. Gently mix in bacon and add salt to taste.
Obviously, this is DELISH with corn tortilla chips but I also slathered it on a whole wheat tortilla with some black beans and corn. It would also be a stellar spread for burgers or grilled chicken (or the black bean burgers that I’m posting later this week.)
Are you nuts about avocados or bacon (or both) like I am? If you make guacamole, what do you put in it?
Sonali- The Foodie Physician
Saturday 30th of January 2016
Guacamole, roasted garlic and bacon...three of my favorite things all together in one dish- AMAZING! Roasted garlic is such a flavor bomb, I can't wait to add it to my next batch of guac!
Melanie @ Nutritious Eats
Friday 29th of January 2016
Yep, it doesn't get much better than that! Guacamole should be it's own food group ;)
15 Ways To Make Delicious Guacamole
Wednesday 2nd of April 2014
[…] Recipe & Photo credit to teaspooncomm.com […]
Super Bowl Week: Bacon & Roasted Garlic Guacamole | The Secret Recipe Club
Sunday 19th of January 2014
[…] Check out the recipe for Bacon & Roasted Garlic Guacamole. […]
Teri @ The Freshman Cook
Wednesday 22nd of May 2013
What a wonderful recipe! I definitely will be making this guacamole!