It’s Healthy Kitchen Hacks Wednesday – the day we share our favorite time-saving kitchen tricks and cooking shortcuts to help you make healthy and delicious meals.
Now…onto today’s featured Healthy Kitchen Hack:
Use Wonton Wrappers to Make Quick Snacks
In my favorite community cookbook (from the 1990’s), I stumbled across an old recipe for Pizza Poppers made with wonton wrappers. The recipe was a super simple concept of folding cheesy pizza ingredients into a wonton wrapper and baking for 10 minutes. Genius!
To make these Wonton Wrapper Snacks simpler for you, I suggest grabbing any two or three ingredients in your fridge, folding, baking….and then do some seriously healthy snacking. These Wonton Wrapper Snacks would be perfect for afternoon snacks, appetizers, tailgating or party snacks.Snack happily anytime: How to Use Wonton Wrappers to Make Quick Snacks #HealthyKitchenHacks via @TspCurry Click To Tweet
Here are my tips for successful wonton wrapper snacks:
- Use 2-3 ingredients in your fridge. You could use more, but I like to keep it simple.
- Place 2 teaspoons of filling on each wrapper. Fold into a triangle and seal. (No need to make fancy folds, unless you want to.)
- Do not overbake. Bake just 10 minutes, then the wonton snacks will be just right: crispy on the outside, warm and soft on the inside. If baked longer and they will be too crunchy.
My kids were the inspiration for most of these combos – they LOVED them.
- Broccoli + cheese (above)
- Ground meat + refried beans+ peppers (below)
- Ricotta + tomato paste + basil (below)
Wonton Wrappers Snacks
Grab 2 or 3 ingredients from your fridge – like ricotta cheese and leftover tomato paste. Then fold up in a wonton wrap. Bake just 10 minutes. Snack happily and healthfully.
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Handful of fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 package of wonton wrappers
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Marinara sauce for serving
In a small bowl, mix together cheese, basil and tomato paste.
Fill a small bowl with water and place on your work surface. Spray rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
Place 1 wonton wrapper on a dry surface. Add 2 teaspoons of filling to center of wrapper. Dip your finger in the water and run it along 2 sides of the wonton wrapper (to make wrapper sticky). Fold wonton wrapper over and press to seal. Place wonton on baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining wontons, but place only about 18 wontons on 1 baking sheet, if you crowd the wontons, they won’t crisp. So bake in 2 batches if needed.)
Spray tops of wontons with cooking spray and sprinkle each wonton with garlic powder.
Bake wontons for 10 minutes at 375-degrees, flipping over after 5 mintues. Serve with marinara sauce if desired.
What’s your favorite time to snack? What would you put inside a wonton wrapper?