So, this post has no kind of holiday sparkle attached to it. No creative holiday cookies, Christmas roast recipe or sugarplums here (what the heck is a sugarplum any way?)
Instead, I have a basic family friendly recipe that’s fairly easy to make. It’s also nutritious, tasty and hopefully gets one more thing checked off your holiday list this season – meaning taking care of the “What’s for dinner?” list of things to do on the non-celebratory nights.
I don’t know about you but as soon as the calendar turns to December, my kitchen becomes laser focused on homemade gifts, those before mentioned holiday cookies and prepping for a Christmas Eve 7 Fish Dinner and a crowd of 30+ on Christmas Day.
But there’s 31 days in December that dinner still needs to happen.Weekday dinner rescue recipe: Mini Turkey Pizza Meatloaves via @tspbasil Click To Tweet
And this recipe can be that dinner rescue during the holiday prep season.
Here’s my tricks to upping the nutrition to these pizza meatloaves:
- Make mini for instant portion control
- Use extra lean ground turkey to reduce saturated fat
- Add shredded roasted sweet potatoes for flavor and extra nutrients (fiber, Vitamin A, potassium)
- Use whole wheat bread crumbs for a whole grain boost
- Use no salt added pizza sauce to keep sodium in check
Mini Turkey Pizza Meatloaves
Your new family favorite dinner: mini meatloaves made with ground turkey, sweet potato, pizza sauce and cheese.
- Yield: 6 servings. 1x
- 1 sweet potato, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup low sodium pizza sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix together sweet potato and onions. Spread out onto baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from oven and place back into bowl. Set aside sheet to use to cook meatloaves.
- Into the same bowl, add ground turkey, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup pizza sauce, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, egg, parsley, black pepper and salt. Gently mix together with your hands.
- Divide into 6 portions and shape each portion into a 3 1/2-inch long and 1-inch thick mini loaf.
- Place on tray re-coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread remaining pizza sauce and cheese over top each loaf. Put back in oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until internal temperature of one of the loaves reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
For day 2, I chopped the remaining meatloaves into bite sized pieces and served with pasta and more tomato sauce—> instant spaghetti and meatballs!
What are your go-to weeknight dinners during the holiday season?