It’s Healthy Kitchen Hacks Wednesday – the day we share our favorite time-saving kitchen tricks and cooking shortcuts to help you make healthy and delicious meals.
Now…onto today’s featured Healthy Kitchen Hack:
VIDEO: How To Make Romesco Sauce in Minutes
OK guys, this romesco sauce is my new favorite staple recipe.
And not because it comes together with zero prep in minutes (and that it’s super versatile.) But the flavor is out of this world! I couldn’t get enough of it after making two batches and eating it over pasta, shrimp and as a soup.How To Make Romesco Sauce in minutes #healthykitchenhacks @tspbasil Click To Tweet
So backing up, romesco is a Spanish sauce that’s traditionally made with peppers, nuts (usually almonds), garlic and oil. Many versions add tomatoes, vinegar, onions and some add bread, too. It has a smoky flavor from the roasting of the nuts and other ingredients. While I’ve definitely eaten it in restaurants, I can’t believe I’ve never made it at home until now.
In my version, you don’t have to do any cooking and you can let your blender do all of the work. And these ingredient short-cuts save a lot of time, too:
- Use jarred roasted peppers (instead of roasting your own —> but here’s How To Roast Peppers With Less Mess if you have fresh ones on hand)
- Use canned fire-roasted tomatoes (again no roasting required)
- Use dry roasted almonds (instead of toasting them yourself – but if you do, check out Serena’s How Not To Burn Nuts)
Once you whip up your romesco sauce, serve it:
- Over pasta instead of tomato sauce
- With shrimp
- With white fish
- With chicken or pork
- Use as a dip for bread and veggies (make thicker by adding torn bread to the blender as shown in recipe)
- Use as a soup base
And let me know, have you ever made romesco sauce? How do you use it/eat it? Would love more ideas!