Ahh, the first week of January – when recipe searches change from decadent goodies to a bit more healthy fare. I was going to call this recipe a “cleanse” or “detox” salad but unfortunately those terms nowadays are often paired with unhealthy and even dangerous dieting practices like starving yourself for days. I’d rather eat good, wholesome food.
I never though raw kale was something that was palatable but after listening to cookbook author & NYT columnist Melissa Clark describe how to make a similar salad on The Splendid Table, I was intrigued. It is amazing how a little bit of oil and acid breaks down tough greens within minutes and makes them more tender.
You can switch up this salad with different infused oils (think rosemary or ginger) and different nuts. It tastes even better the next day – I like to make a big batch to hang out in my fridge for those days I need to balance my not-so-healthy choices.Print
Fresh Kale Salad with Pistachios
It is amazing how a little bit of oil and acid breaks down tough greens within minutes and makes them more tender.
- Yield: 6 - 8 servings 1x
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 cups raw kale, ribs removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, mix olive oil and paprika . Heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add kale. Pour oil over over kale. Toss in lemon juice and pistachios; mix well. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Do you have a favorite kale recipe? (But please, no more kale chip recipes :))