This month, I’m excited to be back involved with the Improv Challenge, which is run by Kristen @ Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker who challenges us food bloggers to come up with creative recipes using a specific food pairing. This month’s theme is a classic duo: bacon & eggs.
My recipe, Broccoli Rabe, Bacon and Eggs Bruschetta, is the ultimate recipe mash-up and here’s how I came up with it.
- I’ve been wanting to do a breakfast bruschetta for awhile.
- One of my favorite meals from my childhood was when my mom made bacon and scrambled eggs for dinner. Now being a mother myself, I realize it was quick, no brainer supper but it felt “exotic” to have breakfast for dinner.
- When I saw Melissa Clark’s post about Pecorino Fried Bread with Broccoli on her new Restaurant Takeaway blog, I knew I had to add broccoli rabe to my toasted bread, too. It’s probably my Italian roots, but sautéed broccoli rabe is one of my very favorite vegetables. My
veggie phobichusband thinks I’m nuts when I say it’s as good as candy when cooked just right. (The trick is to boil it first and then sauté it so it’s not too bitter.)
This could be served as an appetizer, eaten for breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner like an open-face sandwich. You could swap in any type of sautéed or roasted vegetable like peppers, zucchini or eggplant.Print
Broccoli Rabe, Bacon and Eggs Bruschetta – TeaspoonofSpice.com
How about some breakfast bruschetta? Wake up your typical toast with some snappy sautéed broccoli rabe, crispy bacon and scrambled eggs.
- Yield: 4 servings (2 pieces of bruschetta per serving)
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 slices center cut bacon, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 slices of rustic bread (3/4-inch thick, about 4 – 5-inches wide)
- 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino or Asiago cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and broccoli rabe; cook for 2 minutes. Drain.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, sauté for 2 minutes; stirring often. Add in broccoli rabe and sauté for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place skillet back on stove over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until just turning crisp, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and black pepper. Pour into pan with bacon; stir and cook until eggs are scrambled. Remove from heat and mix in broccoli rabe.
- Cut garlic clove in half and rub on slices of bread. Toast in the broiler or toaster. Top each slice with broccoli rabe, bacon and egg mix. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cheese over each bruschetta piece.