Oh happy day – the weather is finally getting warmer here in Philly which has me craving warm weather eats which is why I picked a slaw recipe for this month’s Secret Recipe Club reveal.
This month, I got paired with Jamie @ Our Eating Habits – she lives in Calgary (a city on my travel bucket list!) and blogs about all the recipes from cookbooks and blogs she tries out as well as reviews of restaurants she visits with her family. There were some very tempting, crave-worthy recipes I toyed with making like BLT Penne or Bean Burrito Pie but in the end, the Cran-Broccoli Salad won out.
Broccoli salad, broccoli slaw, cole slaw, carrot salad – whatever you call it – a shredded veggie salad is a must have side at any barbecue, in my humble opinion. Creamy and cool, it’s a great way to get some extra veggies into your day – as long as it’s not loaded down with lots of mayo or oil which is a total bummer because you really can’t taste the true flavor of the ingredients.
Here are the tweaks I made to the original recipe (Jamie got it from an old Ocean Spray recipe flyer):
- Added carrots to broccoli slaw mix
- Used orange peel instead of lemon
- Swapped in golden raisins for the dried cranberries (would be delicious with dried cherries too!)
- Tossed in some sunflower seeds for extra crunch
- Made it vegan by omitting the cheese (this was actually a mistake, I forgot to buy some mozzarella for shredding!)
What’s one of your favorite sides for summertime meals? Do you like slaws – have a favorite recipe to share?