Disclosure: The California Avocado Commission compensated The Recipe ReDux (co-owned by ReganMillerJones, Inc. and Teaspoon Communications), to sponsor this recipe contest. We are therefore not eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I also received a box of California avocados to use for recipe testing. My thoughts and opinions are my own and I’ve always been very open about my
obsession for interest in all things avocado!
It’s time for another Recipe ReDux member recipe challenge! (Sound fun? Consider join our community here!) This time, members were challenged to create the perfect summer get-together dish using California avocados, which are in peak season from March through September.
And, yes, I do love me some avocados – I’ve gone the sweet route with Avocado Ice Cream Pie, to chilled Cucumber Avocado Soup, to everything in between like Corn Avocado Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette and Avocado Fruit Dip.
So for this recipe, I came back to my Italian roots and another staple in my life: pasta. While I’ve never been a big fan of ultra rich Alfredo sauce, I liked the idea of doing a creamy sauce without the heaviness. I had been playing around with different pesto sauces recently and that’s basically how this super green sauce came to be.
As a nutrient-dense fruit (yep, they are a fruit!), California avocados provide nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients for each serving (a 1-ounce serving is about 1/5th of a medium avocado.)
As for cutting them up, I usually cut them in half, dice and scoop but now I’m cutting them in fourths as I learned in this quick and nifty tutorial on How to Choose, Ripen, Store & Cut California AvocadosPrint
Spinach Avocado Alfredo Sauce – The Recipe ReDux
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 pound spaghetti or linguine (I use half whole wheat and half regular pasta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups spinach
- 2 avocados, skin and pits removed
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pasta water
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook past according to directions. Save 1 cup pasta water before draining.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add spinach and sauté with tongs until spinach is totally wilted, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, add sautéed spinach, avocados, parsley, lemon juice, pepper and salt. Blend well. Slowly add 3/4 cup pasta water and blend again (if sauce seems too thick, add a little more pasta water). Add in cheese and blend.
- In a large serving bowl, toss hot spaghetti with spinach avocado sauce. Sprinkle with more cheese and red pepper flakes, if desired, and serve.
What I love about this sauce is how quick and easy it is – whip it up for a creative spaghetti meal for last minute dinner guests or use as a base for a picnic pasta salad for a crowd. Leave out the cheese (if you must – I usually add in extra!) and it’s vegan-friendly as well as heart-healthy.
Do you like avocados? What are your favorite ways to enjoy them? Check out the other healthy, delicious and creative avocado ideas coming out of Recipe ReDux members’ kitchens below!