It’s a new year for the Improv Challenge and this month’s theme is bananas & nutmeg – two ingredients I eat pretty much every day. Lately, this Banana Mocha Frappe has been part of my daily breakfast routine and I recently waxed poetic about my microplane and my love for freshly grated nutmeg.
But I don’t think I’ve ever paired bananas with nutmeg until now with these Skinny Banana Splits. Let’s just say I’ll be adding grated nutmeg to my morning banana frappe from now on.
A typical banana split averages about 1,000 (!) calories per serving – these are around 300 calories. I mixed mascarpone cheese with Greek yogurt, maple syrup and nutmeg (in place of ice cream) which cuts down on the fat but still delivers that creamy and silky texture. Topped off with chopped pecans, shredded coconut with more fresh nutmeg, this certainly isn’t your traditional ice cream dessert but it still delivers on satisfaction.Print
Skinny Banana Splits
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 4 small bananas
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 8 teaspoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- To assemble banana splits, cut each banana in half lengthwise and place on serving plate.
- In a mixing bowl or with a stand mixer, whip together yogurt, mascarpone, maple syrup and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Use 1/4 cup of the maple yogurt mixture for each banana – dollop each portion on top.
- Over top each of the four banana splits, sprinkle 1 tablespoon pecans, 2 teaspoons coconut and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg.
Come to think of it, I should have put a cherry on top!
Get your banana and nutmeg fix with more recipes below: