This crust takes 5 minutes to mix and 4 minutes to grill – then throw on tomato, basil, mozzarella and you’ve got summer on the plate! ~ by Serena Ball, MS, RD
Sometimes, a recipe turns out just too yummy…and is too easy…and is perfect for a fleeting seasonal fruit…that I just have to do a quick share.
This Simple Tomato Basil Grilled Pizza recipe was literally whipped up while the kids were taking showers after a pool playdate. And it was even quicker than the homemade quick-dough pizza I usually make – because:
- They were grilled instead of baked
- The four individual pizzas took less time to cook than one large pizza
And can you go wrong with the tomato, basil, mozzarella combo? Never! In fact, we really like this Caprese combo – be it Cherry Caprese Panzanella Salad, Grilled Potato Zucchini Caprese Salad or even in this version of Caprese Pizza from Cooking Light using a few more ingredients on top – but with refrigerated fresh pizza dough.
So as I was considering what to top my pizzas as they grilled, it was the simplest of flavors that won out: The tomatoes sitting on my counter, the basil growing out back, and the mozzarella ball in the fridge. Because SIMPLE is what summer is all about…including eating these pizzas in our pajamas (to simplify the bedtime routine,) eating outside where the birds get the crumbs (to simplify clean-up,) and in bare feet (because we’re soaking up every bit of summer around here!)
Simple Tomato Basil Grilled Pizza
- Yield: 4 individual pizzas 1x
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2–3 small tomatoes
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 2–3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Prepare grill or grill pan by greasing well; heat to medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, salt; pour in milk and 2 tablespoons oil and mix until dough leaves the side of the bowl. Gather the dough together with your hands and ‘knead’ right in the bowl about 10 times. Cover bowl and let rest 15 minutes.
- While dough rests, slice tomatoes into slices as thin as possible, wash basil, and slice cheese as thin as possible.
- On a cornmeal dusted work space, divide dough into 4 equal portions and shape into 4 circles by pulling and flattening the dough using your hands. Place all 4 onto a grill – or 2 onto a grill pan. (I used a grill pan.) Cook for about 2-3 minutes until grill marks form, flip and immediately add the 1/4th of the cheese slices to each pizza crust.Grill for 2 minutes longer. Remove from grill and add basil, tomato, and a drizzle of olive oil and ground pepper. Repeat with additional dough.
- Roll into a 12-inch circle (flour on counter generally not necessary.)
Have you made anything with tomato, basil and mozzarella yet this summer?
Melon Caprese Salad
Tuesday 30th of June 2015
[…] it into a Simply Grilled Tomato Basil Pizza or a Grilled Potato Zucchini Caprese or a Portable Picnic Cherry Caprese or a No-Cook Summer […]
Thursday 28th of August 2014
Your pictures are so colorful and fresh—great! I made grilled pizza one time but I wasn't happy with the results. You inspire me to give it another try.
Tuesday 26th of August 2014
I've never net a pizza I didn't like and this sounds fantastic.
Shashi @ RunninSrilankan
Tuesday 26th of August 2014
Sometimes simple recipes are the best - love tomatoes and basil combined!
Monday 25th of August 2014
I love this! Simple is the best, especially in summer. And now I want to eat this pizza in my pj's, outside, with no shoes on :) I love all-things caprese salad inspired so I've been making lots of things with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil this summer. My favorite has been Caprese Tuna Salad - so yum!
Monday 8th of September 2014
Can totally see myself eating this pizza too!!! Tomato basil is the best whether in soup, salad, or pizza roll :)