An easy lunch – or dinner for one – this hearty chili satisfies your craving for a steamy mug of chili – in just a minute or two. Pile on the toppings of your choice to go waaay beyond 3-ingredient!
It’s Healthy Kitchen Hacks Wednesday – the day we share our favorite time-saving kitchen tricks and cooking shortcuts to help you make healthy and delicious meals.
Now…onto today’s featured Healthy Kitchen Hack:
3-Ingredient Microwave Mug Chili
It’s been hard to wait til ‘soup season’ to post this healthy and super-filling chili recipe. I’ve been making this easy mug chili – often – for my lunch since last spring.
But here it is!
And the hardest thing is keeping the 3-ingredients in your pantry – because they are pantry staples that probably get used up fast for other recipes too. Here are the magical three:
- Salsa – use a thicker-style salsa. A more watery pico de gallo doesn’t work as well. Use low-sodium versions if you wish. Salsa is a nutrition power-house with the heart-healthy nutrient lycopene. And 1/2-cup of salsa counts as 1-serving of veggies.
- Chili beans – my kids’ favorite chili beans are actually black beans – and Bush’s makes the best in my humble opinion. But you could also use kidney beans or chili beans. Sometimes you can find a low-sodium version. Beans contain fiber and B-vitamins; and when fewer fruits are in season in winter, I find it harder to fit fiber into my and my kids’ meals; but it’s essential.
- Optional: Refried beans – these are optional – but just a spoonful thickens up the chili nicely. Look for vegetarian versions or fat-free versions which don’t have a lot of added lard or fat.
Now we have to talk about toppings. The sky is the limit – and this will make your lunch go way beyond three ingredients. But since they’re all add-ons, go for it! I like:
- Avocado – more added nutrition in terms of antioxidants and good fats and fiber
- Plain Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream – Greek yogurt has the most nutrition, and the most delicious tang
- Cilantro – add lots of this herb for good greens in the chilly months
- Cheddar cheese – I like Cabot low-fat Cheddar
Now grab a spoon, these three ingredients, and you’ve got lunch!Easy lunch. Quick (healthy!) dinner: 3-Ingredient Microwave Mug Chili via @TspCurry Click To Tweet Print