Finally! A healthy baking mix to keep on hand for last-minute baking. Whole wheat flour is a whole grain and flaxseed adds fiber and good omega-3 fats.
For this Healthy Kitchen Hack, we recommend:
Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (affiliate link)
Bob’s Red Mill Golden Flaxseed Meal (affiliate link)
It’s Healthy Kitchen Hacks Wednesday – the day we share our favorite time-saving kitchen tricks and cooking shortcuts to help you make healthy and delicious meals.
Now…onto today’s featured Healthy Kitchen Hack:
Homemade Whole Wheat Baking Mix *VIDEO*
Bisquick this is not. It’s better. Much tastier, and healthier, IMHO. But I will confess an enduring childhood love for all (Bisquick) recipes beginning with ‘Impossible.’ You too may remember Impossible Pumpkin Pie or Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie. Yes? Wasn’t it just magic how the baking mix sunk to the bottom of the pie to create a crust?
I created the Impossibly Good Lemon Bars a few years ago. And they have brightened many friends faces since. Finally! A healthy baking mix to keep on hand for last-minute baking. Whole Wheat Homemade Baking Mix via @TspCurry Click To Tweet
But my Healthy Whole Wheat Baking Mix recently got an upgrade for this year’s Holiday Baking Season. I’m planning ahead NOW for my kids’ teacher gifts. (Speaking of gifts, have you seen our first-ever #HealthyKitchenHacks Gift Guide?!)
My updated Healthy Whole Wheat Baking Mix has:
- Whole wheat pastry flour for better baking results (you can still use regular whole wheat flour, see Recipe Notes below)
- Golden flaxseed – Helps keep baked goods moist. Adds good omega-3 fats.
- Shredded cold butter – The flavor of butter is the best, but I could lower the amount of butter from the original recipe, thanks to the fat in the added flaxseed. Shredding helps the butter incorporate into the flour. Shredding butter only takes a minute.
- Coconut oil – Healthier than shortening.
- A touch of extra soda – Since nutritious flaxseed was added, baked goods may not rise as high. The touch of extra soda helps.
Use this baking mix just as you would Bisquick: pancakes, scones, waffles, Impossibly Good Lemon Bars, soup dumplings, biscuits and more. Or see my recipes in the below Homemade Whole Wheat Baking Mix recipe for:
- 3-Ingredient Cranberry Scones
- 3- Ingredient Banana Pancakes
- 2-Ingredient Kefir Pancakes
Have you ever baked with Bisquick? Was it impossibly good? (: