“Orange You Glad It’s Fall?” is this month’s theme for The Recipe ReDux and here’s my bah-humbug thought:
You see, I’m a summer girl through and through – lover of sun, vacation, the beach, longer days, outside eats and yes, even the heat. When fall arrives, this is what I’m thinking about: the back to school harried pace, a long winter ahead, lots of layers and cold, cold, cold (I swear I will move South someday.)
However, over the decades, I have learned to appreciate the gems of the season and cooking with pumpkin, butternut squash and other seasonal veggies keeps me happier during the change of season.
So, when these carrot beauties showed in my CSA share a few weeks ago, I knew it was time to make soup. Now, I realize this isn’t the most original of recipes but sticking to basics is best. I also realize that carrots are more of a late summer veggie, but clearly they are still being grown in my neck of the woods (Southeastern Pennsylvania) this time of year. I also threw in a roasted sweet potato, which added another dimension of flavor (while staying with the orange theme.)
There are so many different variations you could do with this – since ginger goes really well with just about any root veggie, you could swap in butternut squash, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, pumpkin, beets or a combo of any of these. Chinese five spice powder (a mix of star anise, cinnamon, cloves, fennel and Sichuan pepper) or fresh thyme would also be a nice way to spice things up. Coconut milk or silken tofu could certainly be used to make it vegan.Print
Ginger Carrot and Sweet Potato Bisque
Celebrate orange and fall with this nutrient-packed veggie soup. Carrots, sweet potatoes and ginger are blended for an easy yet elegant bisque.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons half-n-half
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- In 350 degree oven, bake sweet potato (wrapped in foil.) Remove from oven, cool and mash. Set aside.
- In a stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion and ginger. Saute for 10 minutes or until carrots start to soften.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add mashed sweet potato and cook for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Puree with immersion blender or food processor. Return to pot and add in half-n-half.
- Heat another 5 minutes before serving. Serve with mint leaves as garnish, if desired.