- 1 (.25 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups all purpose white flour
- 4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced (about 4 sprigs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices applewood smoked bacon, uncooked
- 3 medium apples (I used Fuji), cored and sliced thinly
- 2 ounces Brie cheese
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- In large bowl, combine yeast, 1/2 cup warm water and sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add remaining water, whole wheat flour, 1 cup white flour, rosemary, olive oil and salt; mix until dough starts to form. Continue to add remaining flour and knead until dough is smooth (knead for 5 – 10 minutes.) Coat bowl with oil, place dough in bowl, cover with towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and roll into 14 X 10-inch rectangle. Position into an oiled, rimmed baking sheet, cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove onto plate with paper towels. Pour out excess bacon fat, return skillet to stove and add apple slices. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spread apple slices over dough. Put dough in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Take out of oven and crumble bacon over apples. Then top with small pieces of cut Brie and snipped pieces from sprig of rosemary. Return to oven and cook another 7 – 10 minutes, until brie has melted and foccacia is golden brown. Cool slightly before cutting and serving.