Got extra parsley? Avoid food waste with these 5 healthy kitchen hacks that feature parsley!
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links which means we earn a small portion of any sales related to that link.
It’s Healthy Kitchen Hacks Wednesday – the day we share our favorite time-saving kitchen tricks and cooking shortcuts to help you make healthy and delicious meals.
You can see all our Healthy Kitchen Hacks here. To get exclusive healthy kitchen hacks – only available to our email subscribers – sign up HERE.
Now…onto today’s featured Healthy Kitchen Hack:
5 Ways To Use Up Fresh Parsley
Clearly using up fresh herbs is an ongoing struggle in my kitchen.
For our Healthy Kitchen Hacks column in Food & Nutrition Magazine, I recently wrote a Refreshing Herbs article featuring lots of tips to use up fresh and dried herbs. I also made a video on What To Do With Leftover Fresh Herbs for a previous Healthy Kitchen Hacks post.Got leftover parsley? Here are five yummy ways to avoid #foodwaste and use it up! @tspbasil #healthykitchenhacks Click To Tweet
Yet, I still confess to sometimes having that rogue bunch of leftover herbs in my crisper drawer that gets forgotten. Most recently, it was parsley which got me motivated to come up with these 5 ideas – that work for both regular parsley and Italian parsley.
1) Top on Toast – Specifically garlic toast! The easiest way to make garlic toast:
- Toast the bread
- Cut a garlic clove in half and rub the cut half on the toast
- Brush with olive oil and top with chopped parsley
2) Toss Into Eggs – Whisk eggs with a splash of milk and chopped parsley. Scramble or make an omelet. Or try our Mariana Eggs with Parsley in our 30-Minute Mediterranean Diet Cookbook (affiliate link.)
3) Top on Pizza – Make fried parsley and top onto leftover pizza slices:
- Finely parsley (stems too!)
- Heat small saucepan with a little bit of olive oil over medium heat
- Add parsley and fry for 1 – 2 minutes, stirring often
4) Mix Into Grains – Parsley is often mixed into grains in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes like tabbouleh:
- Cook bulgur according to package
- Mix with chopped up parsley (about 1 cup for every 1/2 cup of uncooked grain)
- Add in chopped tomatoes, scallions, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper
5) Make Pesto – Instead of basil, swap in parsley in any pesto recipe. And instead of pine nuts, you can use almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pecans or even peanuts! Here are a few of our pesto recipes:
Thursday 21st of February 2019
Great ideas. I learned to like parsley when I was a child thanks to my grandpa. Every time I see it, it brings me back because he'd always have a small cup of parsley made with dinner and sprinkle it on his food.
Thursday 21st of February 2019
Love the memory of your grandpa and way to go, grandpa for getting you to like green herbs at a young age!
Friday 1st of February 2019
We shared a pizza with parsley this week. Everyone in the family loves it! Every bite burst with happiness, it’s like the heaven opened its gates. This is so good, so thumbs up!