Give the gift of vanilla for the holidays. This spice set includes homemade vanilla extract, vanilla salt and vanilla sugar – easy to make!
I’m not going to be grinchy and post how many shopping days until Hanukkah or Christmas. But at the very least, there is still time to make some special and fairly simple homemade gifts for loved ones this year in your kitchen. Enter the Vanilla Bean Spice Set.
I’m fairly embarrassed to admit it’s taken me this long to work with vanilla beans. I’ve gone through dozens of bottles of vanilla extract without much thought but after listening to a fun and inspiring #SpiceChat (a super cool monthly Twitter chat co-hosted by Table Fare and My Spice Sage) all about vanilla, I was motivated.Give the gift of #vanilla - make this simple Vanilla Bean Spice Kit for the holidays! @tspbasil Click To Tweet
And here’s the beauty of these recipes: two ingredients (plus some time to sit) and you have vanilla extract. Two ingredients and you have vanilla sugar. Two ingredients and you have vanilla salt. Package them all together and you’ll have a very unique and special gift for your favorite home cook.
On the back of the labels, I like to include unique ways to use the ingredients such as:
- Vanilla extract: Add to bread dough, pancake batter, fruit salsas, vinaigrettes, mix into glass of milk
- Vanilla salt: Sprinkle atop brownies, corn-on-the cob, roasted carrots, tomato soup, scallops, rub on rim of cocktail glasses
- Vanilla sugar: Mix into coffee, iced tea, sprinkled over French toast, peanut butter cookies, roasted plums, peaches or nectarines
Vanilla Bean Spice Set
Make your own vanilla extract, vanilla sugar and vanilla salt for your kitchen or as a gift spice set for your favorite foodie!
- 1–2 vanilla beans
- 1/2 cup vodka or rum
- 1–2 vanilla beans
- 1 cup granulated or turbinado sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup coarse sea salt
- For Extract, split vanilla beans down the middle. In a sterilized jar with a tight fitting lid, place beans and pour in alcohol. Store in a cool, dry place for 2 months. Swirl every week or so (the extract will slowly get darker.)
- For Sugar, split vanilla beans down the middle. Scrape out seeds and place in small bowl. Add sugar and mix thoroughly. Pour into container with lid and add vanilla beans.
- For Salt, spilt vanilla beans down the middle. Scrape out seeds and place in small bowl. Add salt and mix throughly. Pour into container with lid and add vanilla beans.
Do you cook with vanilla beans? Do you have a special “made in my kitchen” creation you like to gift?