With pasta or without – it’s Summer Zucchini Tomato Lasagna. Stack it on individual plates or layer it in a pan, lasagna style – lots of options for goodness!!
UPDATE: Deanna created this recipe back in 2013. But I (Serena) make it every summer. I’ve added ‘real’ pasta lasagna noodles because sadly my kids refuse to think ‘green’ zucchini noodles can totally replace pasta. But if you’re going gluten-free this recipe is most delicious without the pasta – or with gluten-free noodles.
Our summer bounty of yummy fruits and veggies starting to hit, I knew I wanted to try a recipe from India as part of the Secret Recipe Club, her Summery Zucchini Lasagna.
Zucchini (or courgettes as they are referred to in the UK) and tomatoes are just a few of many many things I love about summer. Throw in some fresh mozzarella cheese, good olive oil, salt & pepper and I’m in heaven. Or take it a step further as India did with this recipe and make a pesto topping with fresh basil, olive oil and garlic.
The tweaks I made to her original recipe included using real fresh mozzarella cheese and garlic scapes from my CSA share in place of the garlic (anyone else crazy for garlic scapes like I am?) I also added some mint to my pesto, simply because I didn’t have enough basil but it was still yummy. I also ended up roasting some grape tomatoes as we have yet to get prime beefsteak tomatoes season here. Use zucchini slices as lasagna noodles in this Summer Zucchini Tomato Lasagna via @TspBasil @TspCurry Click To TweetPrint
Summer Zucchini Tomato Lasagna
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
With pasta or without – it’s Summer Zucchini Tomato Lasagna! Stack it on individual plates or layer it in a pan, lasagna style – lots of options!
For the tomatoes:
- 1 quart grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic scape or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & pepper
For the “lasagna noodles”
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise, 1/8-inch thick
For the pesto:
- 1 cup fresh basil (you can use some mint in place of basil)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic scape or 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced thinly
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a roasting pan, add tomatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Put in oven and roast for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. When done, set aside.
- While tomatoes are roasting, heat over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon olive oil and grill zucchini slices (about 2 1/2 minutes per side.) Add extra oil to pan as needed until all slices are grilled. Set aside.
- To make the pesto, add basil, 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic and lemon juice to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- To make dish, divide tomato sauce, zucchini noodles, pesto and cheese into four portions for four plates. Layer a few zucchini slices, a spoonful of tomato sauce, a slice of mozzarella, a dollop of pesto and repeat until you make four separate stacks. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over each stack. Serve immediately.
Adapted from A Vegan Obsession’s Summery Zucchini Lasagna
I served these in stacks like India did but next time, I think I’ll layer the whole thing in a lasagna pan and then heat it in the oven just to melt the cheese a little bit. Dare I say that I can’t wait for zucchini overload in the next few months? Anyone else with me??
What are your favorite veggies (or fruits!) to grill in the summer?
Best of 2013: Main Dishes and Sides | The Secret Recipe Club
Friday 3rd of January 2014
[…] Zucchini Tomato Lasagna | Teaspoon of Spice […]
Summery Zucchini Tomato Lasagna:Teaspoon of Spice | The Secret Recipe Club
Thursday 7th of November 2013
[…] Check out the recipe for Summery Zucchini Tomato Lasagna. […]
Wednesday 10th of July 2013
Lasagna???? Nice side salad but Lasagna is a real stretch!!!!!
Wednesday 10th of July 2013
That's what the recipe is called on A Vegan Obsession's site :) Zucchini Tomato Stacks would probably be more accurate for sure.
Jamie @ Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
Wednesday 26th of June 2013
These look fabulous! I love roasted tomatoes! ~Jamie (visiting from src group c)
Sunday 23rd of June 2013
Who'd miss the pasta with this gorgeous dish? Love it!