This Quick Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich is packed with protein power and will keep you full until lunchtime. Get the Healthy Kitchen Hacks on how to make it even quicker!
Now THIS is the breakfast of a champion: Champion moms, champion kids…champion everyone!
- Yummy melted cheese + real sausage + egg —> sandwiched between a whole grain English muffin
- It goes from freezer to microwave to the breakfast table in 3 minutes
- This Quick Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich has 30 grams of protein
- And only about half of the sodium compared to the frozen store-brand version like Jimmy Dean’s.
My emphasis on ‘real’ comes from the fact that I was surprised to discover that a packaged breakfast sandwich with seemingly the same ingredients (Jimmy Dean Sausage, Egg & Cheese Muffin Sandwich) has (for the same amount of calories as my version) only 13 grams of protein and 700 mg of sodium.Quick Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich has 30 g protein power to satisfy until lunchtime. Make ahead and freeze for back-to-school craziness! @TspCurry Click To Tweet
I was left wondering, where is all that protein from great sources like the egg, lean meat and cheese?
I’m not sure.
But I am pretty sure this homemade sandwich will rock your morning and you won’t even be close to hungry until lunchtime.
Kids love them too. Mine actually asked, “Mom, did you get these at McDonald’s?” (That’s a compliment!)
Here’s how I made my Sausage, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Sandwich a healthier protein-packed option:
- A whole egg has 6 grams of nutrient-rich protein – but you could use 2 egg whites for more protein but fewer of the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin.
- Mix lean beef + pork for 15 grams protein. I wanted the pork flavor but with less pork fat, so I subbed in some lean beef. But you could use ground chicken for a similar amount of protein.
- Use reduced-fat cheese for 4-6 grams protein.
- Sandwich it all between whole-grain English muffins for added fiber plus 5 grams protein.
- Reduced the sodium to 410 mg per sandwich.
Here’s to ‘real food’ for real protein power; I’ll raise a coffee cup to that!
Here are a few more of our favorite quick and protein-packed breakfasts:Print
What protein-packed breakfasts get you going in the morning? What’s your favorite grab-and-go option?