Easy-peasy Smashed Pea Toast with Toasted Walnuts is a savory and budget-friendly staple around our house these days. Make it today for a snack!
I’m grateful that this post is sponsored by yummy California Walnuts. I was compensated for my time to administer this Healthy Aperture recipe contest.
‘Peas’ pass the toast!
But this is like no toast you’ve tried. It’s spread with creamy, savory (super budget-friendly) smashed peas. And those crunchy, toasty walnuts make it a bit special in taste (with a boost of omega-3s) in these days of ‘sheltering-in-place.’
Maybe you’re already a fan of avocado toast? These cute little toasts are close – but even better IMHO. For one thing, frozen peas are easier to keep on-hand than obtaining the perfectly ripe avocado.
But there’s a trick to frozen peas: DO NOT cook them. Instead, simply pour very hot water over the peas to gently thaw them into their field-fresh form.
To those tender green peas, I added California Walnuts which have a starring role in this recipe. Without them, these toasts would be only half as tasty – and waaaay less nutrient-packed.
- California Walnuts are the only nut to provide an excellent source of the plant-based omega-3, ALA with 2.5 g per 1 oz serving.
- Walnuts also contain 4 g protein per serving.
- Walnuts also contain 2 g fiber per serving.
- More nutrient information can be found at: California Walnuts
And I don’t know about your homeschooling experience, but one subject my kids have been excelling at lately is snacking. A handful of California Walnuts has saved the day many mid-mornings and many afternoons in this house. Here are a few of the healthy sweet and savory combos we’ve snacked on with versatile California Walnuts:
- Sweet: California Walnuts + raisins + mini-chocolate chips
- Sweet: California Walnuts sprinkled on apple/pear slices spread with cream cheese
- Savory: California Walnuts + Cheez-Its crackers (getting real here!)
- Savory: Chopped California Walnuts mixed into hummus + carrot sticks
If you’re also a super-walnut fan, check out all the newest California Walnut recipes being posted by the best healthy-food-bloggers for our new Healthy Aperture recipe contest. Follow #WalnutsSweetorSavory on your favorite social media platform – like Instagram and Twitter.#ad Enjoy snacking on these! Smashed Pea Toast with Toasted Walnuts via @TspCurry #WalnutsSweetOrSavory #BudgetFriendly Click To Tweet