Easy-peasy Smashed Pea Toast made with mini-crostini bread or baked potato slices.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup California Walnuts, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup homemade or prepared hummus
- 1/4 cup chopped chives (or another tender herb such as basil or mint)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Toasted bread crostini or baked potato slices
- Optional garnishes: additional chives and peas, shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place the peas in a large bowl and cover with about 2 cups of very hot water. Allow to partially thaw (they will still be frosty when adding to the food processor.)
- Over medium heat, in a dry skillet, toast the walnuts until they start to turn golden and smell fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly.
- In a food processor, place ingredients in this order: hummus, lemon juice, peas, walnuts, chives, salt, and oil. Process until smooth.
- Spread on bread crostini toast or baked potato slices. Top with additional walnuts and if desired chives, peas, and cheese.
Crostini made with bread is delish in this recipe but we found pantry-staple Russet potatoes to be even more delicious – and nutritious. To bake potato slices:
- Slice 2 Russet potatoes into 1/4-inch slices.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Spread onto 1 or 2 baking sheets and roast in a 400-degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden, flipping halfway through.