Perfectly cooked fish – every time – from the slow cooker. Spicy, savory flavors from red onions, bell peppers, tomatoes and sweet potatoes for the easiest fish tacos ever.
I’ll be honest. I was bad at cooking fish.
It was usually overcooked, because I was never quite sure when it was done.
…until I started cooking it in the slow cooker. It’s amazing:
- No dry, overcooked fish
- No bland, flavorless fish.
- Fish is done in only 15-20 minutes, not hours and hours, like standard slow cooker recipes.
At the low, steady heat in a slow cooker, there is a much bigger window to catch fish at the perfect doneness – before it goes from undercooked to overcooked.
In this recipe, the 15 minute cooking time is plenty of time for fish to absorb the spicy, savory flavors of the chilies, tomatoes, onions and sweet potatoes.
And here’s one giant bonus which my mom will love: cooking fish in the slow cooker doesn’t make your kitchen smell fishy. My mom never cooks fish for this one reason. *This hack is for you Mom!*
I discovered this fish-cooking Healthy Kitchen Hack a few years ago when I made this recipe for Thai Slow Cooker Tilapia.
Here are the basic steps to cooking fish in the slow cooker:
- Place vegetables, spices, liquids and/or whole grains (rice, quinoa) in slow cooker and cook 6-8 hours on LOW or 4-6 hours on HIGH.
- About 15-20 minutes before serving, nestle fish in vegetables and liquids. White fish and thinner fillets take about 15 minutes, oil-rich fish like salmon and/or thicker fillets take about 20 minutes.
- Serve super flavorful fish with a whole meal in one pot!
Slow Cooker Fish Tacos with Sweet Potatoes
Perfectly cooked fish – every time – from the slow cooker. Spicy, savory flavors from red onions, bell peppers, tomatoes and sweet potatoes for the best fish tacos!
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 large sweet potato (about 12 ounces)
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced in rings
- 1 can (12 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup lower-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound cod fillets (or any other fish!)
- For serving: Corn tortillas, shredded coleslaw mix, fresh cilantro, plain Greek yogurt
Chop sweet potato into ¾-inch cubes (do not peel sweet potato.)
Spray 5-6 quart slow-cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place sweet potato, peppers, onions in slow cooker. Pour tomatoes and broth over vegetables. Sprinkle with cumin and salt; mix to combine. Cook 4-6 hours on HIGH, or 6-8 hours on LOW.
About 15-20 minutes before serving, remove the lid of slow cooker and nestle fish in vegetables and liquids. White fish and thinner fillets take about 15, oil-rich fish like salmon and/or thicker fillets take about 20 minutes.
Serve with corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, fresh cilantro, plain Greek yogurt
Have you ever cooked fish in the slow cooker? What’s your favorite way to cook fish?