While it is a total coincidence that I’m posting a berry cobbler recipe shortly after Serena’s Strawberry Shortcake post, I don’t think that’s really a bad thing? Just in time for Flag Day (June 14th if you are keeping track), here’s a simple and patriotic Red and Blue Berry Cobbler.
The berry season (and summer in my opinion) is always too short, so I plan to take advantage of enjoying every local strawberry, raspberry and blueberry I can get my hands on. The trick is having enough left to cook with – if you can resist polishing off the entire green carton, like during your car ride home from picking up your weekly CSA share.
Similar to Serena’s shortcake recipe, this cobbler is no fuss and pretty forgivable when it comes to baking. I added in some whole wheat flour and instead of vanilla extract, I added a dash of almond extract to the batter for extra flavor (caution: almond extract is MUCH more potent than vanilla extract so I use about 1/8 of teaspoon of almond extract if a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.)
Red & Blue Berry Cobbler
- Yield: 9 servings 1x
- 7 cups berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, mix berries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest, Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together flours, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With a pastry knife, cut small pieces of butter into dry mixture.
- Pour in buttermilk and extract; mix together until just moist (do not over mix.)
- In a 9-inch greased baking pan, pour in berries. Dollop globs of biscuit mixture on top.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until top starts to get golden brown.
- Cool slightly and serve with whipped cream.
What’s your favorite seasonal berry?