- 7 cups berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, mix berries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest, Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together flours, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With a pastry knife, cut small pieces of butter into dry mixture.
- Pour in buttermilk and extract; mix together until just moist (do not over mix.)
- In a 9-inch greased baking pan, pour in berries. Dollop globs of biscuit mixture on top.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until top starts to get golden brown.
- Cool slightly and serve with whipped cream.