Microwaving is the best way to make green beans tender crisp. Add sunflower seeds and Gouda with a simple apple cider vinegar and oil dressing – and your salad will sing.
What would you think if you walked into a restaurant with this sign hanging in the entrance??
I saw this sign a few weeks ago in the new Local 59101 Kitchen & Bar in Billings, Montana. And I’ll admit, I didn’t know what to make of it.
My family and I were on vacation in Montana visiting family – and my husband and I went to dinner with my sister and her husband (which was a BIG deal since I see my sister only twice a year!)
When we sat down at our table, I asked our waitress Jeni about the sign. Here’s the scoop:
The sign is written each morning by Montana-born chef Travis Stimpson who lists the vegetables needed from local home gardeners for his menu.
Here’s how Local Kitchen & Bar’s website explains:
“To connect with local gardeners, we’ve established a Local Board of Agriculture. Check it out for postings on what we need (it’s also listed on our Facebook page). If you have more produce than you can use, bring it by the restaurant. Perhaps we can use it.”
How brilliant is that?!
I asked Jeni which veggies on the menu had been brought in that morning. She said “the yellow wax beans.” So, I ordered the Yellow Wax Bean Salad with Gouda and Sunflower Seeds.”
That salad was the inspiration for this month’s Recipe ReDux themed post. Our theme is ‘vacation-themed dishes.’ And the yellow bean salad was so good that I asked for a to-go container for my leftovers (it was enough for four people) and even schlepped it on the plane the next day! Make tender-crisp green beans: Microwaved Green Beans with Sunflower Seeds and Gouda via @TspCurry #TheRecipeReDux Click To Tweet Print
Microwaved Green Beans with Gouda and Sunflower Seeds
The easiest way to get green beans which are perfectly tender-crisp: Microwave them for just a few minutes in small batches.
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain style Dijon mustard
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon torn fresh basil
- 1 pound green beans, yellow beans or a mixture
- 2 ounces Gouda cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- In a small bowl, mix together oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and basil with a whisk; set aside.
- In on a large microwave-safe plate, place half of green beans and 2 tablespoons water; cover loosely with tea towel or paper towel. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes until just tender-crisp and place in serving bowl. Repeat with remaining green beans.
- Toss beans with dressing.
Have you EVER heard of this bring-in-your-local-veggies concept at a restaurant? Would you bring your veggies in? (:
For more armchair travel, check out these posts by my fellow ReDuxers: