A healthier version of the Philly Cheesesteak sandwich, these potato pockets are great for grilling at a tailgate or baking in your oven on game day.
It’s been 4 years (dang!) since I posted these Philly Cheesesteak Potato Packets so I thought I’d bring the recipe back to life as we hit the height of tailgating season.
Game day is Saturday for me (it’s all about college ball for this Penn State alum) and several years back, I developed this recipe for the American Dietetic Association’s Cooking Healthy Across America cookbook which gathered regional dishes created by food-loving dietitians from all over the U.S.No mess Philly Cheesesteak Potato Packets - throw on grill or in oven for game day! @tspbasil #tailgating Click To Tweet
Being a Philly girl, I came up with a healthier version of my hometown’s iconic sammie.Print
Philly Cheesesteak Potato Packets
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 8 medium-sized unpeeled russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, diced
- 8 slices extra-lean deli roast beef, chopped
- 8 ounces, shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 F or start outdoor grill.
- Cut 8 12-inch squares of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Spray each with cooking spray or oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss potatoes, oil, pepper and salt.
- Mix in onions, peppers, roast beef and 1 cup cheese.
- Divide mixture among foil sheets and top each with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Fold foil packets into tents, leaving space up top so cheese doesn’t stick while cooking.
- Place directly on oven racks or grill grates.
- Bake/grill for about 50 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
What I love about these potato pockets is you throw them on the grill or in your oven and that’s it. And they are a no mess kind of meal as you can eat them right out of the foil.
Are you a football fan? Who are you rooting for this game day weekend? What do you like to make/eat at tailgates or game day parties?