Make the BEST baked fish sticks at home using these 6 Healthy Kitchen Hacks.
It’s Healthy Kitchen Hacks Wednesday – the day we share our favorite time-saving kitchen tricks and cooking shortcuts to help you make healthy and delicious meals.
You can see all our Healthy Kitchen Hacks here. To get exclusive healthy kitchen hacks – only available to our email subscribers – sign up HERE.
Now…onto today’s featured Healthy Kitchen Hacks:
How To Make the BEST Crunchy Baked Fished Sticks (VIDEO)
February is American Heart Month and one of the best things to include more often in your diet for your heart (and brain for that matter) is fish!
Fish sticks are a familiar seafood dish for kids and adults alike and while there’s nothing wrong with some of the frozen versions (I always have the Trader Joe’s brand in my freezer), you CAN make fish sticks at home pretty easily.6 Tips to Make the BEST Baked Fish Sticks at home #healthykitchenhacks @tspbasil Click To Tweet
These Healthy Kitchen Hacks will help you make some terrific sticks…and hopefully help you get more fish onto your family’s table. (Note: I use a baked variation of Serena’s Crunchy Cornmeal Crusted Fish Sticks recipe.)
1) Which fish?- Use a firm white fish like cod, tilapia, flounder or barramundi.
2) Coat Correctly – For a coating that actually sticks, dredge the fish in this order:
- Flour (I use whole wheat)
- Wet ingredients (I use eggs whisked with a few tablespoons of buttermilk)
- Crust (see below for ideas)
3) Get Them Crunchy – For a satisfying (and non-soggy) crunch, try these coating ideas (often I’ll do a mix of a few these):
- Whole wheat panko (my favorite – I like Kikkoman Panko – affiliate link)
- Farina cereal (remember Cream of Wheat??)
- Crushed cereal flakes
4) Rack Them Up – Put a cooling rack on the baking tray, coat it with cooking spray and place fish sticks on rack for more even and crispy baking.
5) Turn Halfway – Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes and then turn them for another 5 minutes to once again ensure even and crispy baking.
6) Stick The Sticks – Serve your fish sticks on 6-inch skewers or popsicle sticks (affiliate links) to make them extra fun for dipping in ketchup, cocktail sauce or Serena’s easy tartar sauce using yogurt.
Would you try any of these hacks? Do you have any healthy kitchen or healthy living shortcuts to share? Shoot us an email (or share in comments below and we’ll try them out.)
Tuesday 13th of March 2018
Fish popsticles, sounds yummy and I love fish!
Wednesday 7th of March 2018
I'm excited to try this out at home. I'm sure the kids will love it. Thanks for sharing your recipe! :)
Wednesday 21st of February 2018
I love fish sticks so much x) thanks for this recipe, they are indeed THE BEST!
Wednesday 14th of February 2018
I have been preparing fish sticks but it was not really crunchy. Thank you for sharing your secret and I can't wait to try it. Looking forward to make this on Saturday. Wish me luck.