Chocolate chips and vanilla glaze make these healthy muffins taste like dessert – the zucchini keeps them super-moist; so enjoy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins with Vanilla Glaze for a snack or for dessert.
I’m not sure I should admit it.
But just a few short days ago I was complaining to a friend that no one had dropped any zucchini on my doorstep, rung the doorbell, and run away. No one had dropped off any zucchini period. And in the farming community where we live, I’d actually been anticipating Zucchini Season.
Not so much anymore.
The zucchini glut has begun. And I am now thinking up any way I can to use this ubiquitous veggie. We’ve done baked zucchini fries, Grilled Zucchini with Kalamata Olives, Corn & Zucchini Tuna Burgers and my kids’ favorite: Shredded zucchini added to pasta sauce.
I wanted to really make the vanilla flavor on par with the chocolate – so I added a wonderfully aromatic vanilla glaze. (The trick to a creamy glaze instead of watery glaze is the Greek yogurt!) Here are all the other changes I made to boost the nutrition:
- Replaced half the all-purpose with white whole wheat flour
- Maxed out the vanilla extract added to the batter
- Shred using a box grater instead of a food processor. (You will be surprised how quickly it goes to grate zucchini on a grater instead of dragging out the processor. Plus my kids love to – carefully – help out with the grating.)
- Decrease the oil and sugar – but still got very tender, moist muffins thanks to the zucchini.
- Added two cups of the veggie for maximum zucchini usage and nutrients!