There’s something to be said for muffins! We make them almost once a week in my house…for snacks or lunches or breakfast. They were the very first recipe my 7 year-old made all by herself (and now, she is always pleased when I ask her to make the weekly batch of baked goods.) The recipe doesn’t change much from muffin to muffin – a simple mixing of some flour, leavening agent and spices; then mix milk (or yogurt), eggs and some oil; and gently stir them together in about 15-20 strokes with a wooden spoon to avoid over-mixing.
The varieties of muffins are endless. And you would think that since my kitchen produces muffins weekly, this blog would have a recipe-box-full of variations; however, I’ve just realized there are surprisingly few here: Squash Honey Date Muffins, Almond Milk vs Milk Muffins and Deanna’s Peek-A-Boo Corn Muffins. (I plan to add more in the coming months!)
You can’t get much better than this corn muffin recipe I’m sharing today; not only does it have fresh (peel-left-on!) apples and fragrant spices that fill your home with one of the aromas of autumn, but they also contain stone-ground cornmeal for a little crunch and to make them seem especially hearty and filling at lunch time. Enjoy!Print
Apple Cornmeal Muffins
- Yield: About 12 1x
Simple cornmeal muffins with the addition of peel-left-on apples autumn spices to fill your kitchen with lovely aromas.
- 1 1/4 cup stone-ground cornmeal (or regular cornmeal)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup cored, chopped (unpeeled) apples
- Raw or turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray muffin cups or place muffin/cupcake paper in 12 muffin cups.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Combine eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and vinegar in another.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in wet ingredients; stir just until combined – I find it’s about 15 strokes with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in apples just until mixed.
- Divide batter evenly in 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with a little turbinado sugar if desired.
- Bake about 12-15 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from muffin pan and cool on rack.
Sunday 23rd of September 2018
Made this recipe GF and it worked perfectly!! Nice and fluffy-even for corn muffins!! Great with beef stew or chili!
Monday 24th of September 2018
Oh, thanks so much for letting me know Laura! Much appreciated! Great idea to serve with chili or stew.
Apple Picking Time | eats and pleats
Friday 12th of October 2012
[...] Apple Cornmeal Muffins from A Teaspoon of Spice [...]
EA-The Spicy RD
Saturday 29th of September 2012
Perfect timing...I was just craving some muffins! Maybe tomorrow though since Saturday morning is a huge rush at our house, getting the kids ready for football & soccer...Pinning these to "Make Me Gluten-Free" right now! Have a wonderful weekend!!
Sunday 30th of September 2012
Let me know how they turn out EA! They aren't super sweet, so are perfect for drenching in honey!