- 1 1/4 cup stone-ground cornmeal (or regular cornmeal)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup cored, chopped (unpeeled) apples
- Raw or turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray muffin cups or place muffin/cupcake paper in 12 muffin cups.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Combine eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and vinegar in another.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in wet ingredients; stir just until combined – I find it’s about 15 strokes with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in apples just until mixed.
- Divide batter evenly in 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with a little turbinado sugar if desired.
- Bake about 12-15 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from muffin pan and cool on rack.