Just 6 ingredients to toss into a slow cooker. The result is super-flavorful and the yummy smells will have your neighbors stopping by…
I love a good two-ingredient recipe. And when time is really, really tight, I throw 1 pound of chicken and 1 jar of salsa in the slow cooker and rush out the door.
But when I have at least ten minutes to prep dinner, I throw just 6 ingredient in the slow cooker….and then set-it-and-forget-it.
There’s just a couple tricks to make sure everything comes out just right:
- Vegetables actually take longer than meat to cook in the slow cooker. Because they are denser, place veggies like potatoes, cabbage, onions, carrots on the bottom so they are nearer the the heat source.
- Place meat on top of veggies. Meat juices will drip down and flavor everything.
- Mix together spices and liquids then pour over everything. This ensures the top layer stays moist and is flavorful.
As I said, this recipe goes together in no time, but to quicken it even more, buy pre-cut sweet potatoes and pre-chopped onions – which are now easily found in the produce department.
Here’s my family’s review of this Slow Cooker Chicken Curry with Sweet Potatoes:
3 year-old: “Too spicy.” So she mixed in plain Greek yogurt – and ate a lot.
6 year-old: “I love chicken-on-the-bone.” So he got two pieces with the bone and loved the sweet potatoes and rice.
8 year-old: “I don’t like chicken-on-the-bone.” So she got two pieces without the bone.
11 year-old: “More please.”
Husband: “That smells great – even before I opened the door to come inside the house.” Thanks! (: Just 6 ingredients to yummy smells: Slow Cooker Chicken Curry with Sweet Potatoes via @tspcurry Click To Tweet Print
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry with Sweet Potatoes
Just 6 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep for this flavorful coconut curry dish. It smells and tastes amazing!
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds) unpeeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 chicken thighs (about 1 pound of boneless chicken, 1 1/2 pound of bone-in meat) for better flavor bone-in is preferred
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full-fat is fine)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4–6 teaspoons curry powder (I used 6 because we like spicy)
- To serve: Cooked brown rice
- Optional toppings: Frozen peas thawed, fresh parsley or cilantro, plain Greek yogurt
- Coat inside of slow cooker with cooking spray or rub with oil. Add onions and sweet potatoes.
- If chicken has skin-on, remove skin. Cut each chicken thigh in half; one half will have a bone the other half will not. Lay chicken on top of sweet potatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine coconut milk, orange juice, salt and curry powder. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook 3.5-4 hours on HIGH or 6-8 hours on LOW.
- To serve, remove chicken and shred (or keep chicken on bone if your family likes it that way.) Stir rice into slow cooker to thicken the curry.
Let me know what your family thinks! What are your favorite quick-fix dinners?