In less than 30-minutes, these #healthy family favorites will be on your table. They’re packed with protein, plus lots of veggies. Win. Win!
Disclosure: As co-owner of The Recipe ReDux I was compensated to manage this recipe contest.
Even my kids were impressed with this one.
When they asked, “What’s for dinner?”
I told them, “I’m going make this really quick, yummy chicken taco filling and then stuff a tortilla into a muffin tin cup and then fill it with the chicken and top it all with lots of cheese.”
They were dubious. They raised their eyebrows.
That seems to be happening a lot lately when I try to solve their pre-teen problems. I think I have a great solution. Only to hear, “Mom, I’ve already tried that.” Or the rather crushing, “That’s dumb.”
But the good news is this worked. Really well. Victory for mom! And all the kids’ accolades perked me up after recent less-than-good ideas.
And I think it’s thanks to the hummus.
Yup, the secret sauce that holds this chicken taco filling together is Sabra’s Roasted Red Pepper Hummus – which is the sponsor of the latest Recipe ReDux recipe contest. Actually, I couldn’t decide whether to use the *new* Sabra flavor Jalapeño Hummus or the Roasted Red Pepper. In the end, it was the fact that my sweet 5-year old (who always thinks I have good ideas) is not a spice girl. So I went for the more mild flavor.
So not only did my kids love this hand-held, fun-to-eat dinner, but I loved that these Quick Chicken Taco Cups were:
- Packed with veggies – thanks to Sabra Hummus being pure veggies, also there’s tomatoes and corn
- Packed with protein – there’s chicken and cheese, plus Sabra Hummus is also a yummy plant-based protein
- Is adaptable – feel free to switch in any of the dozen flavors of Sabra Hummus
And after being nourished by this ‘good idea’ of a dinner, I was even able to contribute one (small) “good point” towards editing my daughter’s essay. Score!
What are your good dinner ideas? What’s your favorite flavor of hummus? #ad Whip up this #healthy family favorite in 25 minutes flat: QUICK CHICKEN TACO CUPS #TheRecipeReDux via @TspCurry Click To TweetPrint
Quick Chicken Taco Cups
In less than 30-minutes, this healthy family favorite will be on your table. It’s packed with protein, plus lots of veggies.
- 6 (6-inch) white corn tortillas
- 1 (10-ounce) container Roasted Red Pepper Sabra Hummus
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup canned tomatoes with green chilies (from a 14.5-ounce can) use the rest for another use
- 1 (10-ounce) can chicken, drained, rinsed and shredded (6 ounces shredded cooked chicken)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Optional: Fresh chopped cilantro and chives
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Stack up the tortillas and wrap them in about 4 damp paper towels; microwave for about 30 seconds until just warm. (This step will keep the tortillas from breaking when pushing into the muffin tins.
- Cut each tortilla into 4 even pieces. Place 2 pieces into each muffin tin to form a cup. Bake for 8 minutes until beginning to harden.
- While tortillas bake, in a large bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients, except cheese.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the chicken mixture into the hot tortilla cups until the muffin cups are full. Evenly sprinkle the cheese over the top of the chicken cups.
- Bake 10 minutes until hot and the cheese is melted. Serve with cilantro and chives if desired.
Check out all the Sabra Hummus recipes from our ReDux members:
Thursday 10th of May 2018
Yay! I love a good mom victory! i'm definitely going to try these with the little sous chef! Thanks!
Sunday 13th of May 2018
Heehee. Me too Sara! Enjoy making with your sweet chef.