Peanut butter & jelly.
Just hearing the phrase brings waves of nostalgia and feelings of comfort. Everyone has their favorite way to eat it (meaning Americans for the most part – many foreigners can’t quite comprehend the allure and beloved status of peanut butter. Similar to how many of us may view Marmite or Vegamite, childhood staples for Brits, Aussies and many around the globe.)
But back to PB&J – this month’s Improv Challenge theme which each month, two ingredients are paired for everyone to get creative with by developing a unique recipe.
I had already seen so many clever ideas from April 2nd’s National Peanut Butter & Jelly day – from PB&J French toast to PB&J creme brulee! I ended up keeping it simple, taking a basic peanut butter quick bread recipe, adding in some strawberry preserves (my grown-up “jelly” preference) along with some fresh strawberries and a few other tweaks – like using peanut flour, which gives fantastic flavor and a decent amount protein.Print
Peanut Butter & Strawberry Jelly Bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup peanut flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cup fat free milk
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jelly, jam or preserves, divided
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and salt.
- In separate large bowl or bowl from stand mixer, beat peanut butter and brown sugar until thoroughly mixed. Slowly pour in milk, beating consistently until completely mixed together.
- Add in flour mixture, beating until dry ingredients are moist.
- Grease a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Spread 1/3 of peanut butter mixture into loaf pan. Spread with 1 1/2 tablespoons of jelly and top with layer of 1/2 cup strawberries. Spread another 1/3 peanut butter mixture on top. Spread with remaining jelly and top with remaining strawberries. Spread remaining peanut butter mixture on top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until tests clean with toothpick.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 15 minutes on rack. Remove from pan and cool completely before cutting.
- Serving Size: 16 -20
Best way to eat it? Toasted with some PB & J spread on top, of course.