Here’s a better-tasting breakfast sausage from scratch – with mushrooms! Not only do these savory sausages taste better, but they are richer in nutrition.
It’s Healthy Kitchen Hacks Wednesday – the day we share our favorite time-saving kitchen tricks and cooking shortcuts to help you make healthy and delicious meals.
Now…onto today’s featured Healthy Kitchen Hack:
BETTER-TASTING BREAKFAST SAUSAGE [WITH MUSHROOMS!] VIDEO
“They’re really, really good.”
That’s what my 10-year old said when I asked her what I should write about these Mushroom Breakfast Sausages. She’s a girl of few words.
Then, a farmer friend gave us some of his farm-raised ground pork. I had some mushrooms in the fridge – and these breakfast sausages were born.
Now we have these breakfast sausages often. And not just for breakfast.
The Mushroom folks call this #HealthyKitchenHack of replacing some of the meat with mushrooms, The Blend. Here’s the formula I use:
>> Add an 8-ounce package of mushrooms to each 1-pound of meat
Here are a few other tips I use for mushroom ‘Blend-ing’:
- Mince finely with a knife. Or pulse mushrooms a few times in your food processor.
- Saute 8-ounces of mushrooms in 1 tablespoon oil – or not. OR, for a shortcut, just add raw chopped mushrooms – you’ll get a bit less mushroom-y flavor. But you’ll still get all the nutrition and moisture in the meat patties. (And some kids like ‘less mushroom.’)
- Mushrooms act as a binder, so no other binders are needed in meat patties. No breadcrumbs. No eggs. #easypeasy
- Use spices:
- For pork, go Italian: fennel, oregano, garlic powder, black pepper
- For beef, go spicy: cumin, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes
Mushroom add the goodness of veggies to meat:
- Lower fat – Mushrooms replace some of the saturated fat in meat by decreasing the amount of meat in 1 patty (see below.) But meat tastes just as ‘meaty,’ because mushrooms soak up flavorful meat juices.
- More for your money – Normally a pound of meat yields 4 burgers, by adding (inexpensive) white mushrooms, you get at least 6-7 big meaty burgers.
- Increased nutrients – Mushrooms contain potassium, selenium, vitamin D, and fiber, among other nutrients.
Plus, IMO, Mushroom Breakfast Sausage Patties taste waaaay better than plain sausage patties. Better-Tasting Breakfast Sausage (with Mushrooms!) #HealthyKitchenHack via @TspCurry Click To Tweet
EQUIPMENT: My favorite pan to saute mushrooms: All-Clad Saute Pan [affiliate link]Print
How do you like to eat mushrooms? Do you ever ‘Blend’ mushrooms into meat?