Make better-tasting breakfast sausage from scratch by adding the nutrition and flavor of sauteed mushrooms.
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 8-ounce package of white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano, crushed between your fingertips
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes until beginning to turn golden. Scrape into a bowl to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, add pork, oregano, fennel seeds, salt, pepper, and mushrooms. Mix gently with your hands to combine.
- Shape into six patties and place on a broiler pan that’s been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Broil under high heat, 2-3-inches from heat, for 5 minutes. Remove pan from oven and flip sausages. Broil for 4 minutes more until internal temperature reaches 160-degrees F.
Sausages may also be grilled:
Prepare a grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat, about 450 degrees F.
Grill sausage patties, with the lid closed, for 5 minutes.Turn and finish cooking for 4 to 5 minutes more, until cooked through or until the internal temperature reads 160 degrees F.