For perfect doneness and less hassle, here’s the Healthy Kitchen Hack on artichokes.
It’s Healthy Kitchen Hacks Wednesday – the day we share our favorite time-saving kitchen tricks and cooking shortcuts to help you make healthy and delicious meals.
Now…onto today’s featured Healthy Kitchen Hack:
The Easy Way to Cook Artichokes
Have you ever looked at those prickly green globes and been a bit intimidated?
Don’t be. I’ve tried boiling and grilling this spring veggie with marginal success. (With boiling and grilling methods, I found the chokes are easy to over- or under-cook, and difficult to check doneness.) But when roasted in the oven, even variable-sized artichokes come out perfect.
Bonus: my kids (shockingly) really like them roasted. And I think I know why: the oven makes artichokes a bit sweeter and infuses lemon throughout the choke.
Here’s How to Roast Artichokes:
1. Wash artichokes. Then, using a sharp knife, cut about 1 to 1 1/2-inch off the top of the artichoke. Trim about 1/2-inch off the stem (don’t trim too much of the stem, as it’s an extension of the tasty artichoke heart.)
2. Spread the leaves out wide, to open up the artichoke.
3. Squeeze a half lemon over and in between the leaves of each artichoke. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Slice 1 to 2 cloves of garlic and slide in between as many leaves as possible.
4. Wrap in a large piece of aluminum foil. (It’s OK if it’s not tightly sealed – then the leaves get a bit browned and toasty-looking.)
5. Bake in a 450-degree oven for 1 hour for MEDIUM artichokes, or 1 hour and 15 minutes for LARGE/JUMBO chokes like this one. Check for doneness by pulling out a center leaf and making sure the ‘meat’ part is tender and can be easily scraped off with your teeth.
Now the fun: Making a million different (easy) dipping sauces. Here’s what my kids love dipping:
- Lemon juice + salt. Let kids sprinkle their OWN salt over a puddle of lemon juice.
- Mayo + lemon + curry powder
- Melted butter. (Yes. This dietitian serves melted butter. It increases artichoke consumption!) Not grilled. Not boiled. The EASY Way to Cook Artichokes #HealthyKitchenHacks via @TspCurry Click To Tweet