I’m not sure I should admit it.
But just a few short days ago I was complaining to a friend that no one had dropped any zucchini on my doorstep, rung the doorbell, and run away. No one had dropped off any zucchini period. And in the farming community where we live, I’d actually been anticipating Zucchini Season.
Not so much any more.
The zucchini glut has begun. And I am now thinking up any way I can to use this ubiquitous veggie. We’ve done baked zucchini fries, Grilled Zucchini with Kalamata Olives, Corn & Zucchini Tuna Burgers and my kids’ favorite: Shredded zucchini added to pasta sauce.
But when I saw the Chcoloate & Vanilla Improv challenge from @ Kristen @ Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker, I knew it was time to try some zucchini baked treats with Chocolate Zucchini Muffins with Vanilla Glaze. It wasn’t hard to find a recipe with which to begin. I started with this one. But since this is a chocolate AND vanilla challenge, I wanted to really make the vanilla flavor on par with the chocolate – so I added a wonderfully aromatic vanilla glaze. (The trick to a creamy glaze instead of watery glaze is the Greek yogurt!) Here are all the other changes I made to boost the nutrition:
- Replaced some of the all-purpose with white whole wheat flour
- Maxed out the vanilla extract added to the batter
- Shred using a box grater instead of a food processor. (You will be surprised how quickly it goes to grate zucchini on a grater instead of dragging out the processor. Plus my kids love to – carefully – help out with the grating.)
- Decrease the oil and sugar – but still got very tender, moist muffins thanks to the zucchini.
- Added heaping cups of the veggie for maximum zucchini usage and nutrients!
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins with Vanilla Glaze – Improv Challenge
- Yield: 20 muffins 1x
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Glaze ingredients
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon Greek (or regular) yogurt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in zucchini and chips.
- Fill muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Mix together milk, yogurt, powdered sugar and vanilla. Pour over warm or cooled muffins.
What are you cooking with zucchini these days? Has anyone dropped some off at your doorstep – do share your zucchini door dropping stories?