Because of St. Patrick’s Day, potato recipes seem to be quite popular at the start of March – I’d argue for potato recipes all year long!
Especially these super easy and adaptable baked potato chips – inspired by my friend and occasional Facebook live guest, Ellen! (Check out her Lightened Up Buffalo Chicken Dip and our Facebook demo for it: Part 1 and Part 2.)
You can whip these up in your oven in less than 20 minutes (or even quicker if you use a mandoline to get them ultra thin- PLEASE USE THE SAFTEY GUARD!) You can also nosh on them with just salt, use olive oil and/or add your favorite spices. Our current Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (and rockstart!) intern, Kennedy, tweaked Ellen’s recipe a bit and created this spice blend below to add some extra flavor to every crunch.
Baked Potato Chips with Spices
Baked potato chips made in 15 minutes or less – enjoy with just salt or jazz them up with some spices!
- 2 medium potatoes
- Cooking spray or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice potatoes with a mandolin to ensure equal and very thin slices for even cooking. You can also use a paring knife but you may not be able to slice quite as thinly so you will need to increase cooking time (see below.)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- If you are using cooking spray and only salt, line up the potato slices on baking sheets and coat with spray and sprinkle with salt. Flip the potato slices and repeat the spray and salt.
- If using olive oil and spices, in a large bowl, pour the olive oil. Then mix together salt, pepper, parsley, paprika and garlic powder. Add the potato slices and toss well with your hands until evenly coated. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for about 5 minutes and then check for slight crispness (you make need a full 10 minutes on the first side.) Flip the chips and again check in 5 minutes if completely crisp and starting to turn golden brown (it may take another 10 minutes total on the second side as well.)
- Remove from oven and serve!
Healthy Kitchen Hack: Mix ranch seasoning into plain Greek yogurt and serve with the chips as a protein-rich dip.