- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 24 whole, unsalted almonds
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, milk and almond extract.
- Pour melted butter into flour mixture, then add milk mixture. Use a fork to combine all ingredients to form a soft dough. Then use your hands to gently knead in the bowl to make sure all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Spread plastic wrap on counter, place dough on top and shape dough into a round log about 12 inches long. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.Unwrap dough and place on lightly floured surface. Cut into 24 slides and roll each into a ball. Place on lightly greased sheet pan and gently place almond in the center, flattening the cookie ball slightly.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until they are just lightly browned; for chewier cookies bake 15 minutes for crispy bake 17-18 minutes. Remove from pan to cooking rack immediately after removing from oven.