A delicious vegetarian recipe to use up your summer produce including tomatoes, zucchini, and eggplant!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large eggplants, sliced or coarsely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, sliced or coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk, warmed in microwave
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or other aged cheese, divided
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add half of the eggplant and zucchini; saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Add to a 9-inch square baking dish. Return skillet to medium heat, add remaining oil, eggplant and zucchini. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes and add to baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- In same skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour. Once flour is incorporated, whisk in milk. Cook until thickens (1 to 2 minutes) and then whisk in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Pour over eggplant and zucchini. Mix well.
- Gently mix in mozzarella cheese and tomatoes, top with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes in the oven. Garnish with fresh basil before serving.
Adapted from Canela Kitchen’s [Eggplant Gratin|