Sweet, moist muffins with crunchy sunflower seeds – made with ingredients you have on hand: Sunflower Seed Apple Muffins. Plus tips for cooking with kids.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded (unpeeled) apples (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup roasted (unsalted) sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup natural applesauce (no-sugar added)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with 18 paper muffin cups, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Let child help stir flour in flour canister and then help scoop, measure and level off flour in measuring cup. Let child help measure additional dry ingredients (sugar, soda, cinnamon, salt) into a large bowl and stir carefully with a whisk or fork.
- Let child CAREFULLY shred apples on a box grater (teach them how NOT to scrape their knuckles by using LARGE chunks of apple and by NOT getting too close to the scraping holes.)
- Add apples and seeds to dry ingredients and have child help mix well.
- Measure wet ingredients (oil, applesauce, milk, eggs, vanilla) into another bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and let child count 15 careful stirs around the bowl to incorporate ingredients just until moistened.
- Let child use medium cookie scoop to place even amounts of dough into 18 muffin cups.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.