Strawberry Lemon Cornbread Shortcakes are a healthier twist to a classic dessert, and they are anything but short on flavor.
- 1 1/3 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- Juice and zest from one lemon
- 2 batches Strawberry Lemon Syrup*
- 1 cup Greek-style vanilla yogurt or Icelandic vanilla skyr
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, canola oil, eggs, juice from the lemon and half of the zest from lemon (save the remaining zest for the lemon topping.) Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Place cast iron skillet over medium heat and add butter. Once melted, swirl around and remove from heat. Pour batter into skillet. Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until cornbread starts to turn golden brown.
- While cornbread is cooking, make double amount of *Strawberry Lemon Syrup according to recipe instructions.
- For lemon topping, place yogurt, mascarpone, milk and remaining lemon zest in standing mixer bowl. Whip together for about 20 seconds (or use hand mixer.)
- To assemble shortcakes, cut wedge of cornbread and slice in half. Place bottom half on plate and spoon strawberry lemon syrup over top. Cover with remaining cornbread slice and top with more syrup and a dollop of lemon topping.