Spiced & Stacked Apple Bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 medium apples, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cups lukewarm water
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cool
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Whisk in brown sugar and cornstarch. Mix in cinnamon, nutmeg, almond extract and apples. Cook for 5 – 8 minutes and then cool.
- While the apples cook, in a large bowl for a stand mixer, add yeast and sugar. Pour in lukewarm water and let sit 10 minutes.
- Add in eggs and 3 tablespoons melted butter. Stir.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together both flours and salt.
- With dough hook running, add in half of flour mixture. Continue to slowly add remaining flour mixture. Let dough hook knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- Remove dough, spray bowl with cooking spray and put dough back in bowl. Cover and let rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Coated a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Punch down dough and roll out onto floured surface. Roll into 12-in x 20-in rectangle. Spread apple mixture over dough. Cut into six 3 1/2-in x 12-in strips. Stack onto of each other.
- Cut the stack into 4 pieces about 3-in x 3-in.
- Place stacks on side in front each other until pan is full. Push together so they stick.
- Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 35 -40 minutes, covering loosely with foil after 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 15 minutes until removing from pan to cool completely.
- Serve with a drizzle of honey, maple syrup or a scoop of frozen or regular vanilla yogurt.